Author Topic: Beef Tenderloin  (Read 4178 times)

Walt

Beef Tenderloin
« on: February 08, 2014, 06:10:23 PM »
This afternoon I put a half tenderloin in the smoker @ 200deg.  It was rubbed down with olive oil, salt, pepper, onion & garlic powder & cayanne.  It took 2.5 hrs to reach 125deg.  Double wrapped in foil.  Will reverse sear just before eating.  The attached picture is just as it came out of the smoker.  Will include pics of the finished product.
« Last Edit: February 08, 2014, 06:11:59 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: Beef Tenderloin
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2014, 06:50:55 PM »
lookin good
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: February 08, 2014, 07:28:47 PM »
Anything you smoke low, then reverse-sear, always looks a little anemic when it comes out of the smoker.  But wow, what a few minutes of reverse sear does to the appearance!  Can't wait to see your results!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #3 on: February 08, 2014, 08:56:50 PM »
Learned a tough lesson, after double wrapping in foil I put it in the oven on" warm".  Couldn't leave in #2 because I was still smoking some Jalapenos. Should have checked what "warm" meant.  Needles to say, took it out & checked the IT.  It was 157.  Couldn't reverse sear without overcooking more.  I had made a hunter sauce to drizzle over the top but instead cubed the meat and applied liberally.  It was so tender and juicy you could cut it with a fork.  I'm disappointed but you have to love when you mess up and the dinner is still delicious.  Was too pissed off to take pictures.  Much less pissed off when I started eating.  I will try to get this right in a few weeks.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

puddle jumper

« Reply #4 on: February 08, 2014, 10:27:20 PM »
Walt...
You are killing me,,,
Even when your cooks turn out bad they are awsome!!!
LOL :o 8)
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2014, 11:17:24 PM »
Walt well the silver lining is that it turned out great. I hear you on the "warm" setting. Not sure what they consider warming, usually still cooking. LOL
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2014, 08:06:36 AM »
Sad to hear, Walt, but at least it still tasted good.  Always hurts when a plan doesn't work out like we want it too!  Just a tip on reverse-searing I've learned - don't worry about keeping it warm. Wrap in foil and set it on the counter until the oven or grill gets to searing temp.  It will only rise a few degrees while in the foil, and should be back on the heat for searing in less than 30 minutes.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2014, 09:49:32 AM »
I had to hold it for a couple of hours before the guests arrived. I should have put it in the ice chest wrapped or in the warming drawer on low. Live & learn.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill