Author Topic: New smoker first smoke in it.  (Read 7143 times)

campcook

New smoker first smoke in it.
« on: February 04, 2014, 02:30:43 PM »
Hi
Well I did my first smoke in my model 1 and it turned out great. My wife was impressed and so was I. I did a pork butt 9.6 lbs. (don't like to start small) and was a little worried about how much time it would take but did not open the box until the roast was 173. Let it rest for 40 min. then cut into it. WOW it was juicy and nice tasting. I injected it with MOJO and rubbed it with store bought pork rub by masterpiece. I have a campout in March and will be smokin Pastrami for the group. I will do one before I do it for the group though. Let me know what you think.  :)
Yes Dear usually keeps me out of trouble.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: New smoker first smoke in it.
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2014, 02:32:13 PM »
Very nice, campcook!   I believe you may be the first to do sliced pork butt...love the pics!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

campcook

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2014, 02:48:05 PM »
Thank you I prefer sliced to pulled. I can't wait until lunch, dinner to have some more.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2014, 03:00:53 PM »
I have never tried sliced pork butt.   Is it better than pork loin (I have tried that)?
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

campcook

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2014, 03:14:34 PM »
Is it better than pork loin
I don't know I have not done a pork loin in the smoker, Hmmm something to put on the list. We seem to like it and can do it for our whole RV club. I did a whole pig in a LA Caja China at one outing and everyone liked it.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2014, 03:28:17 PM »
I did sliced pork butt, for the first time, Sunday.  I actually intended to take this brined butt to 200 for pulled pork, but just couldn't get there (due to the issues I was having with the prototype electronic #2).  Out of frustration, I pulled it out at 170, let it rest for 30 minutes, and sliced it.  It was good!  For the first time, also, I failed to take pictures!  No excuses, but I got caught up in the Super Bowl and just didn't get it done!

It was very juicy (the brining always helps with that), and, of course, has a lot more fat than a loin.  The taste was great, and was pretty tender.  I can't say if I like it more or less than pork loin - it's just different.  Both are great, in their own way.  I use a different brine on loins, so they taste different.

Yours looks great, Ray!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

campcook

« Reply #6 on: February 04, 2014, 05:02:36 PM »
Thanks DivotMaker
I have been using MOJO injection since I did the pig and I love it. Lot of good things in it. Garlic, Onion, Grapefruit juice, pepper, some salt (not much) and other spices. I will have to try a pork loin sometime in the near future. Not knowing to much about this new smoker I did put water in with the smoke, but looks like I could have left it out or at least not put as much in. Need to find a way to take this with me on trips so I can smoke while on the road and make everyone hungry, but don't know how much bouncing around in a Motor home it can take.... lol

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #7 on: February 04, 2014, 05:20:36 PM »
I did a pork loin a few weeks ago (about 7#, I think) and it was great sliced....now I will have to try the butt.  I can see why for a large group the pork butt would be a better choice.   Also on my list is try a tenderloin.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #8 on: February 04, 2014, 06:45:22 PM »
Ray - I think your #1 should travel fine.  They're pretty durable.  Just remove the smoke box, racks/shelves and drip pan.  Nothing to rattle around then!

I inject brisket, but don't inject pork anymore since I discovered brining!  Throwing the little piggy parts in the bath seems to give better results, at least for me (having done both).  Brining is not just marinading; the combination of salt and sugar actually cause an osmosis-like reaction to pull the liquid into the meat.  In my pork loin brine, I use a little pink #1 curing salt.  It gives it a little ham flavor, and creates the coolest pink "faux smoke ring" in the meat!  You can see this penetrates pretty deep, after just a few hours. 

Read up on brining, and give it a shot sometime!  I promise to try the MOJO injection!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: February 04, 2014, 09:42:36 PM »
Your first smoke looks like it was done by a BBQ veteran.  Congrats!  And wouldn't you know it, those slices look custom made for rye bread.  Well done.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2014, 11:22:27 PM »
Excellent first time results! I too have sliced in the early days when I really didn't know what I was doing with this unit and found that it was just great. Slices are great for sammies.

Tony, how dare you not take pics, negative points to you... ;P
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: February 04, 2014, 11:26:06 PM »
I know, Ben.  :-[ I'll snap some of the leftovers! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2014, 12:04:38 AM »
Great Tony, I love pics of empty dishes.  ;)
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

campcook

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2014, 01:16:10 PM »
Read up on brining, and give it a shot sometime
I will have to do that. I try to keep salt level low though so how salty is it when you get done.
Thank you all for your comments and I am still learning from you and hope that I will be as helpful someday as you all have been to me.

DivotMaker

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2014, 02:48:13 PM »
Ray, brining doesn't make the meat salty.  I know it sounds strange, but the meat doesn't really "absorb" the salt.  It will definitely affect the surface of the meat, so you need to thoroughly rinse the brine off before seasoning.  The salt does not significantly raise the salt.  The salt in the brine denatures some of the protein near the meat surface, which creates a barrier and keeps moisture from escaping during cooking.  Rinsing the surface removes residual salt.  Brining too long can raise the salt level in the meat, so you want to watch your times (depending on what you're brining).
Tony from NW Arkansas