Author Topic: Hello to the Smokers....  (Read 4680 times)

Indianasmoker

• "I and my Father are one"
    • Indiana Floors LLC.com
Hello to the Smokers....
« on: January 12, 2014, 09:53:03 AM »
I'm the new guy.
Greetings to all.
Wife got me a combination smoker/griller a year ago, never had much luck smoking but never really tried. Nephew is a Chef, he smoked a turkey breast for thanksgiving (with cherry wood off my woodpile)...tongue slapping goodness!

Went to Sams club yesterday, be no direct intent I came home with a 10lb sirloin tip roast....told the wife: " I am smoking this thing!"
I have a grilling rub I make myself ( Balls Cajun Seasoning, paprika, Lawrys, onion power, Garlic powder, etc...) so I used this rub and added 3 tablespoons of coffee ( at my nephews suggestion) and a cup of brown sugar.
Rubbed it good and let is set in the fridge after lurking here last night and hearing ya'll talk about overnight in the fridge, I stuffed four garlic cloves in it and wrapped it with string.
9am EST I fired up the cherry wood in the side smoker, while it was getting hot I pan seared the roast on the stove like I have heard some of yous do.

Any other suggestions?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 09:55:06 AM by Indianasmoker »

Three Sons BBQ

Re: Hello to the Smokers....
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2014, 09:56:06 AM »
WELCOME! No worries being the new guy - you must start somewhere!!!!

I would suggest low and slow for now...

Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Indianasmoker

• Indiana Floors LLC.com
« Reply #2 on: January 12, 2014, 10:05:08 AM »
Had it low, came in here to talk and it spiked at 300
the second run of wood had caught fire, I put a tinfoil shield in part of smoker to grill inlet area, temp is back down to 225 and going lower.
What is gonna be the best temp to keep it at?
Thanks in advance

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #3 on: January 12, 2014, 10:13:56 AM »
Never done Sirloin Tip Roast....

Myron Mixon book says 275F for beef tenderloin (and everything else nearly)

Jeff Phillips says 225-250 for nearly all beef.... and up to 275 for tenderloin.

I'd set it at 250 and determine optimum temp to pull based on a google search.
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

es1025

« Reply #4 on: January 12, 2014, 10:51:29 AM »
Never have done sirloin tip roast.  A friend of mine has he says 225-240 until it hits 130 IT.  Let it rest for one hour and enjoy!
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Walt

« Reply #5 on: January 12, 2014, 10:57:07 AM »
Are you still useing the stick smoker or do you now have one of the SI units?
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Indianasmoker

• Indiana Floors LLC.com
« Reply #6 on: January 12, 2014, 11:29:18 AM »
Its the Charbroiler Grill with the side smoker. I using split cherry firewood.
I'm back up to 225.
 Got the digital thermo,
Its been 2.5 hours internal temp is 116... external temp is 41.... warmed up a bit...outside.

Walt
17 years ago at this time my daughter was born in Lake Charles LA, there was a freeze that year that stretched from Atlanta to Miss Gulf shores, you might remember it. We lived in Westlake right across the Calcasieu River from Lake Charles. I was standing outside that morning, early cause our power had went out, I watched the transformers on my block blowup as the ice shorted them out, while I was standing out there the top of the pine tree in my front yard yard snapped off and it fell right on my power line....

Walt

« Reply #7 on: January 12, 2014, 11:56:30 AM »
Got family there.  We had three days in a row in the teens last week. Don't get that often.  Will be repairing some copper lines @ my boat house today because of it.

17 years ago I was still globe trotting as a capt on ocean going ships.  Spent 11 month a year @ sea for a decade, so I didn't get home much.

Welcome.  Will help any way we can.  When the charbroil gets put to the curb, try one of these.  You won't regret it.  Prep the meat, toss it in with 2 to 6 oz of wood, hook up your thermomer, turn it on & ignore it until the IT is correct.  No flare ups, no adjustments, no hassle.

Good luck.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Indianasmoker

• Indiana Floors LLC.com
« Reply #8 on: January 12, 2014, 12:31:18 PM »
Update:
Temp is at 125 my nephew says let it go to 135, then pull it off wrap in foil and let is set.
Snuck chunk off a hanging flap....mm mm good...

Put the sausages and wings on, looking through the fridge for something else to smoke....

Seafaring man eh, very interesting, we got a place in Charleston SC, I sit and watch them ships go and come.
Seen em miss the tide and get grounded off the sand bar about 200 yards southeast of the Port, seen one loader tanker sit there for 8- 10 hours I guess the evening tide was the highest, he had to wait till then.

I almost got grounded a few times in the inter-coastal fishing the flats and I am only drawing about 18"

Indianasmoker

• Indiana Floors LLC.com
Results:
« Reply #9 on: January 12, 2014, 03:11:21 PM »
Nice smoke ring, once I got the slabs cut you could cut it with a butter knife.

The center was very rare I brought it to 135 on the digital probe thermo, don't understand why it is so rare.
Nice bark, I think I will inject the next one, the family loved it, was a little bland for me.
Very juicy!
Tasted like prime rib.
 Cooked 4.5 hours, temp was 175-225, cherry split logs.

The Sausages and wings slapped you right in the mouth, good stuff!

Suggestions ?
« Last Edit: January 12, 2014, 03:13:36 PM by Indianasmoker »