Author Topic: Beef Brisket  (Read 11698 times)

Walt

Re: Beef Brisket
« Reply #15 on: January 21, 2014, 09:40:55 AM »
I have another flat brineing in the fridge now. The last one I did (last weekend) was terrific.  I will take pictures & post when done.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: January 21, 2014, 09:55:12 AM »
How about posting your brine recipe in the Brines section, Walt?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Walt

« Reply #17 on: January 21, 2014, 12:47:23 PM »
I tend to not measure normally.  Basic elements remain the same.  Kosher salt & brown sugar equal parts (1 cup)+ apple cider vinegar (1/3 cup).  The remainder varies depending on the flavor profile.  This time I used about 1 tbsp garlic & onion powder & about 1 tsp each  paprika, coriander, chipotle, cayenne, ancho, black pepper.

I use these rubbermaid containers for brineing as well as holding the meat after I rub them.  I rub & wrap in plastic wrap & stuff it back in a clean container.  Helps keep the fridge clean & neat.  I get them from Sams.
« Last Edit: January 21, 2014, 01:04:08 PM by Walt »
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #18 on: January 21, 2014, 02:46:50 PM »
Thanks, Walt!  How long did you brine the brisket?
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #19 on: January 22, 2014, 01:05:56 PM »
I brined the flat for 24 hrs.  Then, I diluted some mojo with apple juice & injected.  I know its overkill but I did the last one this way & it was incredible.  Then, used both yellow mustard & molasas as a binding agent for the rub.  Wrapped tight in plastic wrap & is now resting back in that rubbermaid container. I will put it in the smoker friday morning.

Will have some friends over so I'm figuring out the rest of the menu.  Right now I plan on making a favorite creation of mine, black eyed pea tart.  Filo pastry in muffin pans filled with 50/50 mixture of blended black eyed peas & cream cheese, topped with some of the unblended black eyed peas & a quick pickle of purple onion & japalenos.  I will also roast whole cauliflower (olive oil, salt, pepper, garlic powder) @ 400degrees (about 45 min,).  Once done, I smear a local japaleno chevre goat cheese (very mild flavor) over the exterior & briefly put back in the oven.

Now I'm starting to get hungry.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #20 on: January 22, 2014, 03:13:25 PM »
Good info - thanks Walt!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #21 on: January 25, 2014, 11:38:49 AM »
Here is the rest of the story.....6lb flat, about 6oz mixed hickory & cherry, placed brined, injected & rubbed flat on 2nd rack from top added extra rub to top, set temp @ 225 & let rip.  6 hrs in i quickly applied some bbq sauce (temp was 187).  After 8.5 hrs it finally hit 200.  Took it out wrapped in foil & let it sit 45 minutes until guests arrived.  It was phenominal.  The remaining fat that wasn't rendered was literally like butter.  It melted in your mouth, no chew @ all.

I added a photo of the black eyed pea tart.  If you do this, make sure to drain the peas well before blending with the ceam cheese.  After blended add about 1/3 volume more drained peas for texture. Save some unblended as well.  Cook the philo in muffin pans until golden brown (about 10 min in a preheated 350 deg oven). Add warm pea / cream cheese mixture.  Top with warm unblended peas.  When this process starts I take some purple onion & jalapeno & marinate in plain white vinegar.  A shot of vinegar is always good with beans & the onion & japs add flavor & crunch.  I use salt pork when cooking the beans down cut to 1/4 in thick.  After peas are done cut into strips and pan fry.  Use apiece or two as garnish with the onions.  It tastes like crispy pork fat from a pork chop.  Also add a little green onion for color.  Crunchy, creamy, savory, mmmmmm.  Goes great with pork as well.

Everyone enjoyed the meal.  My daughter thought it was a little too smokey but she was the only one.  I dont know if brineing & injecting is overkill but both briskets done this way were very moist & extremely tastey.  I would like to inject one & inject & brine another and cook side by side to see if there is an appreciable difference.  Unfortunately, very seldom do I have a need to cook that much.
« Last Edit: January 25, 2014, 07:57:59 PM by Walt »
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: January 25, 2014, 01:03:39 PM »
Man, that looks mighty fine, Walt!  Nice job!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #23 on: January 25, 2014, 01:20:45 PM »
My goodness Walt... that looks ridiculously good.

I have not eatend yet and just returned from a long workout at the gym... and now I definitely need to see what vacuum sealed hunk of meat I'm going to retreive from the freezer!!!

Thanks for the photos!!!

I live up north where true barbecue is not understood. All the guys would dig right into it and so forth. If I were to pull that brisket out at a family picnic, my wife, mother, mother-in-law would be under the wrong assumption that because of the bark its "burned" or inedible (which is fine, more for me).

QUESTION: Does anyone else run into this conflict if you will? How would one help the "presentation" so as to not shock folks not accustom to this style of cooking?
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

Walt

« Reply #24 on: January 25, 2014, 01:27:44 PM »
My get-together's are usually less than 15.  So, I tend to plate initially (2nds are on them).  A couple of slices nestled next to the roasted cauliflower & pea tart.  It didnt look like a piece of 6 lb charcoal when they 1st tasted it.  After that they were hooked.
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2014, 01:42:38 PM »
 ;D

Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: January 25, 2014, 03:34:15 PM »
I live up north where true barbecue is not understood. All the guys would dig right into it and so forth. If I were to pull that brisket out at a family picnic, my wife, mother, mother-in-law would be under the wrong assumption that because of the bark its "burned" or inedible (which is fine, more for me).

QUESTION: Does anyone else run into this conflict if you will? How would one help the "presentation" so as to not shock folks not accustom to this style of cooking?

Sorry, Steve, folks in Arkansas know what good Q looks like! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas