Author Topic: First Auber Smoke  (Read 7448 times)

SmokinTrojan

Re: First Auber Smoke
« Reply #15 on: April 13, 2014, 11:32:40 PM »
Rick and Tony,
This was an experiment for me...using #3, I wanted to fill it because prep and cleanup is same for partial load as my first trial and this one where thickness of brisket and butt left about 3" above to hang box temp probe. Butt on top and brisket 2" over burner. Two plus hours in Auber says 235F box temp. Brisket temp is 165F! Butt has another probe and it is 135F. I didn't do the wrap on the brisket at four hours, but I decided to do a mop. At 4 hours brisket was 175F and butt was 153F. At that point I decided to switch racks, placing butt above burner and brisket atop. I flipped the brisket and mopped the top. An 1.5hour later I flipped the brisket again and mopped. I went to bed at 10:00pm, 9.5hours after I started. The brisket was sitting at 185F and the butt was at 178F. I had the Auber set to 195F for the brisket. When it reached that temp it would throttle back to 140F until morning. End result...butt is pretty moist...brisket will need juice to rejuvenate. There was nothing in drip pan that I would salvage. I have a lot of chewy bark that I'm taking with me ocean fishing this next week. Much better than jerky. Your last comments are spot on. I will wrap brisket and maybe butt after smoking is done next time. Drip pan probably good to separate mixing flavors.
Bob's making smoke in liberty lake, wa