Author Topic: Christmas Prime Rib  (Read 34860 times)

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
Re: Christmas Prime Rib
« Reply #45 on: January 10, 2017, 01:07:25 AM »
I did another Prime Rib for New Year's Day. So good...

Dried in spare fridge for ~4 days before cooking. Everyone loved it! Pretty much same recipe...
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #46 on: January 10, 2017, 09:18:31 AM »
Nicely done Tony. Reverse sear is the best ever.  :)
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

Jumanji

« Reply #47 on: January 10, 2017, 09:58:38 AM »
Tony, you are Prime Rib King!  The one for Christmas looked like perfection.  I did my first prime rib for Christmas, and it turned out tasty.  For some reason, I really thought that a bone-in was going to cook and taste better, so I skipped the $10 per lb Sams Club roast, and paid $12 per lb for a bone-in at HEB.  I justified it by noting that the $12 was a markdown from their normal $15 per lb bone-in prime rib.  I don't think I would do that again.  The bones had some weight to them (four bones), the meat around them is not real tender, and I paid $ for bones.  Yours turned out so nice, next time I am going bone-less!
Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

ibbones

« Reply #48 on: January 10, 2017, 01:03:10 PM »
Tony, that looks amazing.  I soooo want to try one but my wife will not eat anything under well done.
Michael "BONES" T. 
Victoria, Texas
3D

Jumanji

« Reply #49 on: January 10, 2017, 02:02:49 PM »
Tony, that looks amazing.  I soooo want to try one but my wife will not eat anything under well done.

My Dad is the same way.  When I used to oven-roast the prime rib, we would give him the ends - because they were well done.  I planned to do the same this year, when we smoked our prime rib on the 3D.  However, when I sliced it, I was shocked by how shallow the well-done cook was on the ends.  It was enough for him, but barely.  Good thing no one else wanted well done. 

For her, you would have to separate part of it after the smoke, and cook longer?  On the bright side, the roast appeared to rest very quickly.  We smoked to temp, immediately tossed it onto the grill for reverse sear, and sliced probably ten minutes after taking it off the grill.  (It was a little behind schedule, and people were standing with plates in hands!)  At that point, you cold slide off a chunk and toss it on the still-heated grill to get it done to her liking?
Michael from Port Aransas, Texas
Smokin-It 3D

TmanEater

• Model #2 Owner
« Reply #50 on: January 10, 2017, 10:27:57 PM »
Tony, you are Prime Rib King!  The one for Christmas looked like perfection.  I did my first prime rib for Christmas, and it turned out tasty.  For some reason, I really thought that a bone-in was going to cook and taste better, so I skipped the $10 per lb Sams Club roast, and paid $12 per lb for a bone-in at HEB.  I justified it by noting that the $12 was a markdown from their normal $15 per lb bone-in prime rib.  I don't think I would do that again.  The bones had some weight to them (four bones), the meat around them is not real tender, and I paid $ for bones.  Yours turned out so nice, next time I am going bone-less!

Thanks! The New Year's one I did was bone-in. I guess I didn't get pictures showing the roast was sitting on the bones. In our smoker's I would agree and believe that boneless is the way to go.
Smokin Newbie starting Dec. 2014... Learning Lazy-Q As Fast as I can!
Smokin-It 2, HeaterMeter PID
Monitor my live smokes at http://bbq.tonylyne.com

Tony from Marion, IA

Jimeo

« Reply #51 on: May 28, 2018, 09:26:11 PM »
Yet another shout out to Tony on this recipe!  I’ve been meaning to try this for a while and the $6.99 lb sale price finally forced me to.  Outstanding!
« Last Edit: May 28, 2018, 09:30:58 PM by Jimeo »
Jim in Marietta Georgia
SI#2
Weber Genesis E-310

BabsBBQ

« Reply #52 on: November 05, 2018, 06:10:40 AM »
I have a question about this method. Has anyone used this method using a brine in addition to the rub adding the rub after the brine.
#2 user
I'm a gardener, canner, baker, dehydrator, and candy maker.
Now I'm a smoker- the good kind :)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #53 on: November 10, 2018, 11:35:01 AM »
Shouldn't make any difference at all.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN