Author Topic: Newbie -- first smoke  (Read 11101 times)

Tondalaya3

Newbie -- first smoke
« on: December 15, 2013, 07:41:57 AM »
My son bought me a #1 for Christmas, but was so eager to get started that today's our first smoke.  We seasoned the smoker yesterday, got a 6# bone-in pork butt, did a dry rub overnight and got started first thing this morning.  Wish us luck!!

One question:  there's a small amount of smoke coming out of the top of the door (upper right hand corner mostly).  Should we be concerned?  Thanking you in advance...

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Newbie -- first smoke
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2013, 09:11:41 AM »
Congrats on the new #1!  Don't be concerned about the smoke around the door - these are a friction fit, and that will seal with time and use.

Let us know if you have any questions!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 10:17:41 AM »
Smoke around the door is no problem...now about 9 months in with a #2, I still see a little smoke escape through the side of the door when within the first 30 minutes or so of a smoke.  After that, the door is fine.   Also, don't be alarmed I you see a lot of smoke coming out of the #1 in the first hour, and then very little if any after that.  This is normal, but be assured that the wood in your box is continuing to smoke (just not as easy to see).

Good luck!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2013, 01:07:38 AM »
My #2 did that at first but now it is nearly non existent now. A little tiny bit just in the beginning but fades away. These are great smokers.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

rickne

« Reply #4 on: December 16, 2013, 01:27:28 AM »
Let us know how it turned out.  No issues with the smoke on the door.  Even if it doesn't seal completely, it's still fine. It should get better with time and it's not unusual that a little leak happens at the door.  Most smokers do that.
Rick  --  The Cornhusker State
Model #3 Jack Daniels Edition (W/ Cart)
Toggle Switch Bypass, Cold weather Cord, Auber PID

Tondalaya3

« Reply #5 on: December 16, 2013, 08:36:34 AM »
Thanks to all and especially to Smokin-It for making such a great product!  Our first smoke was a TREMENDOUS success!  The meat was so succulent and delicious (we used a blend of hickory and applewood chips) that our guests yesterday ate seconds and in some case thirds, and one guest said it was better than anything he'd ever had in a restaurant!!  Can't wait to try it again!  Yummmmmm!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: December 16, 2013, 11:00:03 AM »
Congratulations...the comments from your guests is exactly what we want to hear!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Tondalaya3

« Reply #7 on: December 27, 2013, 10:15:13 AM »
Our first effort was such a success that we smoked a turkey breast on Christmas day.  Secret spices + bourbon + maple syup + applewood chips + our little smoker = many happy guests!  Love love love our new smoker.  Thanks, Smokin'-It! 

1stlink

« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2014, 10:13:12 AM »
It sounds like you are really enjoying your new smoker. I also bought a's number one recently and have used it three times, two different butts around 9 pounds in one chicken. All turned out great

I recently bought a couple of turkey breasts and would like to hear more details about how you smoked yours. Any details you can share would be greatly appreciated.

Thanks and good luck with your new smokin-It...

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2014, 01:29:18 PM »
It is great when you can smoke at home and get it the way you want.   Every time.

Happy smoking.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Robbie

« Reply #10 on: February 01, 2014, 10:57:33 AM »
Question-- I have two 4-5 pound butts one bone in and one Boneless.  I am going to smoke both of them at once.

About how long will i need to smoke approximately -  I know i need to smoke until about 190 or so for pulled pork.

Please help!!

es1025

« Reply #11 on: February 01, 2014, 11:19:58 AM »
Meat absorbs smoke until it reaches 140 degrees. I would plan for about five hours.
one question, why 190? My .02 200-203 will make the meat a lot easier to pull.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?

Robbie

« Reply #12 on: February 01, 2014, 12:08:51 PM »
thank you for the help -- last time i did this it took longer than 5 hours -  i don't have a internal -leave in thermo- i think i was opening the door too much.  I will try to get temp up to 200.   I just don't know what time to put in for super bowl party and have to be gone for the morning on sunday thanks for all the advice

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #13 on: February 01, 2014, 01:35:00 PM »
Robbie - definitely 199-203 on the internal temp.  You'll probably find the two different butts will cook differently, so I'd check them individually.  I wouldn't crack the door to take temp for at least 6 hours.  A remote meat thermometer is critical when doing large cuts of meat, like butts or briskets.  We live and die by internal temp - it's the real key to good Q!  The Maverick ET732 or 733 are great units, but a less-expensive model (like ones they sell at Academy or WalMart) are fine.  I used to use an Acutemp single-probe model that was very accurate, and served its purpose.  The Maverick gives me 2 probes (box and meat temp), and a remote unit (too lazy to walk out and look at the temp). ???

Also remember the stall!  Your 2 butts will stall between 170-185 (every one is different, as far as the stall point).  Don't rush it, or think it's stopped cooking.  Be patient, and let it work through...the temp will eventually climb!

Good luck, and let us know how it goes!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Robbie

« Reply #14 on: February 01, 2014, 03:24:00 PM »
Thanks all-  Just ordered the maverick -  but going to get another thermo now for this smoke!!