Author Topic: Steaks  (Read 11303 times)

kymonopoly

Steaks
« on: May 01, 2013, 11:32:07 AM »
Has anyone tried to smoke any steaks?  What has worked for you?  What has failed?  What kind of seasoning did you use?  Can anyone recommend wood flavors and recipes?

Thanks
Jonathan but go by J.
Model #2 as of Christmas 2019 thanks to Wife, Daughter, Parents, Sister and Brother-in-Law

rajones19

Re: Steaks
« Reply #1 on: May 02, 2013, 09:14:02 AM »
I did a NY Strip a week or two ago, and it was OK. I blame the meat, not the smoker. I used a little Tatonka Rub on each side, put on a middle rack, set to 225 with a small piece of apple in the woodbox, and pulled it out when internal temp reached about 120. Then I dropped it on the hot grill for a couple minutes each side. I did have a foil pan on a rack below the steak, and surprisingly, not ONE DROP of anything in the foil pan. I let the steak rest about 5 minutes before I cut into it, and the juice just flowed out. I don't think this was a great piece of meat, so wasn't that impressed - but no fault of the smoker.

This week, we thawed a big ribeye, and tried again. I used Montreal Steak Seasoning on each side, and this time I warmed up the smoker first. I let it go through it's extremely wide temperature swing one time - set at 225, it went up to 290, then back down to about 170. Once it started to climb back up, I added a little chunk of apple to the woodbox. I had read that adding some lump charcoal would add some charcoal flavor (makes sense), so I also added a small chunk of that wrapped in foil, with some holes poked in the foil. I foiled the charcoal thinking it might otherwise catch fire, which I have also experienced with department store woods. I cooked it the same way - let the internal temperature get to 120-125, then reverse-seared on the grill for a couple minutes each side. It was MARVELOUS. Next time I won't bother to wrap the charcoal, and I might use a little larger piece. The charcoal flavor was a huge success. Also next time I won't bother trying to use the Maverick IT probe on the steak - steak was about an inch thick, but just not thick enough that I was getting a reliable reading from the Maverick. In the end, after about 50 minutes, I just started checking with our instant-read digital thermometer, and went by that. I think the steak was in the smoker about an hour. In any case, this was one delicious piece of meat, and we would be doing this every night if we could.

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: June 25, 2013, 08:31:26 AM »
I have smoked steaks and tri-tips first at the lowest temp setting. Then on to the grill for a good sear...outrageous.

afratki

• Owner: Smokin-It #1
« Reply #3 on: June 25, 2013, 08:37:49 PM »
I smoked some ribeyes this past Sunday, the first time I've smoked any steaks and here's my take:

My ribeyes were probably just under an inch thick and I didn't do any prep work other than sprinkling some Cabela's Whiskey Steak seasoning on both sides. In my #1 they went at 175 with 3oz of mesquite. I anticipated a 1.5 - 2 hour smoke and my plan was to pull them at 120 then sear them on the grill real. Unfortunately they hit 120 after only an hour and my grill wasn't ready so I backed the temp down to 160 (the smoker temp. was on a down cycle at this time and I don't think the element came on again). It took another half an hour for the coals to get good and hot by then the steak IT was 140 and I did a light sear on both sides (would have like to do more). I rested the steaks for 15 minutes in foil with a pad of butter and some garlic powder.

Overall they weren't bad but they were medium- well to well done instead of the medium I was shooting for and they didn't pickup as much charcoal as I wanted but the mesquite flavor was definitely there.

I think I will try this again but see if the butcher at the grocery store will cut a 1.5 inch ribeye and cut in half after cooking. I'll look into preparing them a little to make them more tender also.
Andrew from Maryland

Let's Smoke!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: June 25, 2013, 08:48:45 PM »
I have smoked steaks and tri-tips first at the lowest temp setting. Then on to the grill for a good sear...outrageous.

Curious how long you smoked the tri-tips before the sear?  I like steak medium, so I wouldn't want to over-do the time in the smoker.  Also, what's the "lowest temp setting" that will produce smoke?  I thought you had to have it set around 160 to get the wood hot enough to smoke.  Any thoughts on this?  I love tri-tips, and would really like to hear more on these!  Dry rub/seasoning?  Marinade?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #5 on: June 25, 2013, 08:52:25 PM »
Smoke is spot on ... these smokers aren't designed for searing but can give you incredible flavor before finishing on an extremely hot grill or even a cast iron skillet preheated in your oven on its your max setting.

That being said, I have smoked a standing rib roast and done a home-smoked prime rib.  Rubbed with olive oil, rosemary and sea salt, with a roasted garlic compound butter poked into shallow holes across the top of the roast, does the trick.  It's pretty freakin' sweet.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #6 on: June 26, 2013, 07:57:41 PM »

Curious how long you smoked the tri-tips before the sear?  I like steak medium, so I wouldn't want to over-do the time in the smoker.  Also, what's the "lowest temp setting" that will produce smoke?  I thought you had to have it set around 160 to get the wood hot enough to smoke.  Any thoughts on this?  I love tri-tips, and would really like to hear more on these!  Dry rub/seasoning?  Marinade?

I pull the tri tips off when internal temp reaches 110. Then they get a quick sear on each side and a 20 minute foil tented rest. Internal is about 130 when I slice.....the tri is med-rare, but just barely...that's the way the family likes em.......

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: June 26, 2013, 10:34:39 PM »
Thanks, Smoke!  Sounds delicious!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2013, 07:36:58 PM »
Yum... I have a ribeye on right now and denating on when to take off...  I like a solid medium for steak.   I'm thinking 112*
Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2013, 08:01:47 PM »
Jerz, I think you'll be pretty rare at 112.  For medium, you might try pulling at about 130, then a quick sear on the grill to an internal of about 138-140.  That's what I'd try....no guarantees, though - never cooked one like that myself.  :-[
Tony from NW Arkansas

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #10 on: September 18, 2013, 04:52:06 AM »
Jerz, I think you'll be pretty rare at 112.  For medium, you might try pulling at about 130, then a quick sear on the grill to an internal of about 138-140.  That's what I'd try....no guarantees, though - never cooked one like that myself.  :-[

Well... I pulled it at 113 from the smoker and did a sear for 3 minutes on the first side and realized it was too long and didn't do as long on the second and it came out medium well... I usually pull them off the grill at 125 and let them rest for 15 minutes... seems they come out perfect that way.

I'll keep working on it but I saw 110 as the temp to pull off the smoker in another forum for medium rare.
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: September 18, 2013, 12:48:29 PM »
Well, Jerz, thanks for the schooling!  :-[   I'd have definitely ruined a steak!  I wasn't taking into consideration the extra 6 minutes of searing on the grill - fatal error on my part!  Your thinking on 110 is probably dead-on.  When I grill steaks on the Weber gasser, a 1" steak only takes about 13 minutes total to medium (3 min each side high sear, then medium indirect heat to finish).

I love learnin' new stuff! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Smokster

• Model #3 Owner
« Reply #12 on: September 18, 2013, 01:54:33 PM »
Now you got my attention.  I have to try steak in the smoker.  How much wood would you use for steak? Personally I wouldn't go more than 2 oz, but I am thinking maybe that may be too much for a short smoke.
Tony from Toronto
Smokin It and Lovin It

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #13 on: September 18, 2013, 05:06:18 PM »
Now you got my attention.  I have to try steak in the smoker.  How much wood would you use for steak? Personally I wouldn't go more than 2 oz, but I am thinking maybe that may be too much for a short smoke.

Ha... well... there was still leftover Mesquite in there from my previous Jerky session but it was too much whatever it was.  I'm thinking I'll try a mellower wood next time OR maybe just two ounces like you mentioned; I must have had about four ounces in there.

I'm liking this learning process.

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
Re: Steaks & Chops
« Reply #14 on: September 18, 2013, 07:36:02 PM »
So...  what about 1inch bone in pork chops?    Just turn all the way up until an internal temp of 145?  I have some homemade tater salad in the fridge...  was figurin' for a down and dirty weeknight meal smoked pork chops and tater slad...  I'm in no hurry just enjoying a few brews on the porch while the smokin-it does its thing.
« Last Edit: September 18, 2013, 07:39:54 PM by Jerz »