Author Topic: 15lbs of Brisket - 7.5lbs of Pork Shoulder - All Night Cook  (Read 7419 times)

Grimm5577

15lbs of Brisket - 7.5lbs of Pork Shoulder - All Night Cook
« on: April 26, 2013, 10:34:43 AM »
I'm having a BBQ on saturday and it will be my first large cook out involving smoking. I'm hoping that I can have the meat in the cooler by 3pm to rest till 5pm or so. Which means I technically should be starting around 3pm today, which sadly isn't going to happen. I probably won't get the meat on till 8pm tonight and will smoke it all night long. I'm not even sure I will be able to fit all this meat in my #2. Which if thats the case I think the shoulder will stay in the #2 and the Brisket move to the Brinkman Charcoal smoker to help get a nice ring.

Stay tuned folks i plan to have lots of Q-view. Also If anyone has some good advice for an all night smoke please let me know!

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: 15lbs of Brisket - 7.5lbs of Pork Shoulder - All Night Cook
« Reply #1 on: April 26, 2013, 06:01:56 PM »
Be careful not to overload the #2. As we are finding out from other posts, this can affect achieving the desired temperature.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Grimm5577

« Reply #2 on: April 29, 2013, 11:03:01 AM »
I ended up only using the #2 for the 2 pork shoulders. I ended up picking up a second shoulder the day before the BBQ which was a good idea as even with the 2 I had very little leftovers. I smoked the brisket in my briinkmann gourmet bullet smoker. I'm not sure what I do wrong but I can't get the tenderness I want out of a brisket. I did the toothpick test, and it went in like butter in various spots so I pulled it and wrapped it in foil. Didn't have a cooler so I used my gas grill (not on) to help insulate. Pulled it out after about 3 hours and sliced, but it seemed tough to me. Great flavor, lots of juice, just not super tender pull apart meat. any help would be appreciated.

mikeinctown

« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2013, 08:30:49 AM »
May seem like a stupid question, but did you slice it in the right direction?

Grimm5577

« Reply #4 on: May 09, 2013, 10:30:12 AM »
Yea, I came to the conclusion that I didn't cook it long enough. next brisket I make I'm not going to pull till I hit 205* IT. I pulled this one at 190 thinking that during the rest it would continue cooking to 200*. But from what others have suggested they think that was still to early.