Author Topic: Temperature Adjustment  (Read 32667 times)

BHamel

• Administrator
Temperature Adjustment
« on: December 09, 2013, 04:30:55 PM »
You can adjust the temp settings up or down somewhat on a Smokin-It smoker,  here is what to do:

Remove the thin cap off the black temperature control knob by using a thin screw driver

Now remove the black control knob  from the smoker by lifting straight up

The black control has a knurled center part that you can push out by using a flat head screw driver.  Please note that this part has a small arrow indicator on it to show its current position before you remove it.   By rotating this part to the right or counter clockwise it will increase the temps.   I suggest starting with moving it around 90 degrees and placing it back into the knob

Now place the black control knob back on the smoker and you can check the temp to see how close to the set point it is.  No need to replace the top thin cap until you have it adjusted to your liking.
Ben from Ohio
Smokin-it IT guy!
Owner of a Model #3
If you can't smoke it!  You shouldn't be eating it!!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Temperature Adjustment
« Reply #1 on: December 09, 2013, 04:59:10 PM »
Great tutorial, Ben!  I've read several descriptions of this, but now it's clear!  Like the new avatar, btw. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2013, 08:22:02 AM »
I'm doing a brisket and the graph feature for my igrill works awesome now for my Android Tablet and I have the knob pointing between 225 and 250 and the highes temp is about 220 and the lowest is 200.  Should I adjust the know so it points to the highest temperature,  average temperature,  or something else?
Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

Jerz

• Atlanta, GA
« Reply #3 on: December 15, 2013, 09:52:08 AM »
OK... nevermind, I answered my own questions.  I decided to use it as the maximum temperature so if my temp is set to 225 then the max will be 225 and I know I have 20 degree swings so it'll go from 205 to 225.... once I made the adjustment the max my knob will now turn is exactly at 250 so I'm thinking that is how it's supposed to be set, at the maximum temperature in the graph.  Cheers and thanks for the tutorial!
Why reinvent the wheel?  Get yer smoke on....
Smokin' with the Weber Smokey Mountain Cooker for about a year.... Model 3 for a minute... Monitoring with the iGrill with the Android App... :D

Wik

« Reply #4 on: January 01, 2014, 11:25:29 AM »
Would this process work to offset the temp by 50 degrees?  Meaning if I dialed to 250 and had it act like 300 in the smoker?  I'm using Auber PID and thought this might give me a second level of safety from overheating AND still allow me to use the smoker without the PID.  Otherwise I'll probably just bypass OR bypass with a switch drilled into the unit to give this flexibility.

Edit - I just bypassed the thermostat so I guess I'm not too worried about it anymore, maybe others might have this question...

Thoughts?
« Last Edit: January 01, 2014, 05:43:04 PM by Wik »
Chad from Moorhead, MN
Proud #3 Owner

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2014, 11:29:39 PM »
Wik:

I thought of this too (i.e. not bypass but change the setting) for extra protection.

I am changing from a "hard wired bypass" to an outboard toggle switch that will allow me to bypass when wanted / needed.  In this fashion, I can use the SI controller if wanted without the Auber OR if running with the Auber I can bypass if needed (or leave it NOT bypassed if the two controllers aren't competing and thus have extra protection so to speak).

Regardless, I think you're fine. Just since I'm not in "full smoke season" which will be April to October (about 3 smokes a week) ... I'm going to tinker with the unit some more. ;-)

Steve
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

MarkF

« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2015, 11:22:26 AM »
I just checked my #3 and with the dial at 250, it swings between 257 and 225. I cannot adjust the knob to get more top temperature from it. Is this ok?

Mark
One with too many toys.....
Smokin-it #2, #3
Weber Kettle One Touch Gold, Smokey Joe Gold
Chargriller Outlaw with SFB
Camerons Stove Top Smoker

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2015, 09:12:00 PM »
I just checked my #3 and with the dial at 250, it swings between 257 and 225. I cannot adjust the knob to get more top temperature from it. Is this ok?

Mark
Mark, it sounds like you are right in the range.  Do a couple more range tests at your typical smoke temps and see what you get. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2015, 09:16:49 PM »
I ran this test this weekend to give me a base line for my #2 smoker.

Greg

Dockmaster

« Reply #9 on: November 21, 2015, 03:50:49 PM »
I got my #2 about a week ago and received my ET-732 yesterday.  I wired the box probe to the bracket at the back where the SI probe is located.  Put some black pepper, salt, etc. in and turned the unit on, set on 250.  After a while I just about freaked out when I saw the box was at 346!!  I turned it down to 175 and the temp began to fall -- when it was around 205 I set it at 225.  When the box temp got to the 270's, I lowered it to 200 -- the box is at 253 and coming down.  SO -- I'm really pleased to find this great information about calibration, Ben.  One thing, "rotating the inner part to the right, or counter-clockwise" -- that's looking at it from above??  Thanks so much!!
Steve, Jacksonville, Florida -- SI #2; Started smoking in 1982 on a Weber kettle grill; then a Masterbuilt charcoal bullet; then a Masterbuilt propane fired bullet. Retired Navy Submariner; Retired Dockmaster.

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: November 21, 2015, 04:15:59 PM »
You only had salt and pepper in the smoker?

Maybe someone will correct me, but if you have a hunk of meat in there the swing won't be what you saw.  You need something in there to "sink" or take in the heat besides salt and pepper.

Try and see what the temp swings are with meat in there before you mess with the knob. 

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

DivotMaker

« Reply #11 on: November 22, 2015, 12:37:10 PM »
I got my #2 about a week ago and received my ET-732 yesterday.  I wired the box probe to the bracket at the back where the SI probe is located.  Put some black pepper, salt, etc. in and turned the unit on, set on 250.  After a while I just about freaked out when I saw the box was at 346!!  I turned it down to 175 and the temp began to fall -- when it was around 205 I set it at 225.  When the box temp got to the 270's, I lowered it to 200 -- the box is at 253 and coming down.  SO -- I'm really pleased to find this great information about calibration, Ben.  One thing, "rotating the inner part to the right, or counter-clockwise" -- that's looking at it from above??  Thanks so much!!

Steve, with only salt and pepper in there, you essentially had an empty smoker.  If you try to monitor box temps when it's empty, you'll go insane.  They swing wildly, which is not the case with a good heat sink (meat load) in there.  If you're going to smoke only salt & pepper again, I would add a few bricks or a pan of sand to act as a heat sink.  You don't need adjustment, just something in there!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Dockmaster

« Reply #12 on: November 22, 2015, 01:12:38 PM »
jcboxlot, I had the salt and pepper in coffee filters like Tony had written about and it turned out pretty good.  BUT, I now understand what Tony and you are telling me about a heat sink.  WOW!!  I get smarter every time I visit this forum.  Again, thanks guys!
Steve, Jacksonville, Florida -- SI #2; Started smoking in 1982 on a Weber kettle grill; then a Masterbuilt charcoal bullet; then a Masterbuilt propane fired bullet. Retired Navy Submariner; Retired Dockmaster.

DivotMaker

« Reply #13 on: November 23, 2015, 08:31:28 PM »
We're here to help, Steve, because we've "been there, done that!"
Tony from NW Arkansas

Dockmaster

« Reply #14 on: November 28, 2015, 01:31:09 PM »
Hey Tony - I wanted to run the pepper some more to see if it would get more smoky so, following your advice, I wrapped two bricks in foil and put them the bottom.  It worked great, thanks!  And, with the ET732 I could monitor the temp swings at a given temp setting.  For example, I now know that setting the SI on 200, it cycles between 210 and 260; setting at 225 yields 230 to 275.  So my T-day 12 lb turkey needed a 250 temp (from the chart) so I set the knob on 225 & Viola!!  Great bird.  Happy Thanksgiving!