Author Topic: Whole Turkey Time  (Read 4160 times)

sts3d

Whole Turkey Time
« on: November 27, 2013, 06:16:31 PM »
I have just received my #2 the other day, have it seasoned. I have a 19# Turkey to smoke for tomorrow. Any one have a rough idea on time. I have smoked a few birds in my old junk smoker at 45 minutes per pound and always was close. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks, Sean.
I'll even smoke the squeal.

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
Re: Whole Turkey Time
« Reply #1 on: November 27, 2013, 11:50:06 PM »
I am going to be smoking a 18# tomorrow morning. Starting around 4AM AZ time. Looking around 9 hrs or so, until temps are met in bird. If not completely up to temp, I might have to throw in oven for a boost due to time constraints. At least that way the bird will have the smoky flavor. I had a bullet smoker before that did the job but almost always we put in oven for a small period to just get it over the top in temp.  The #2 doesn't get up that hot so I might just have to do that....time will tell though.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: November 28, 2013, 07:06:20 AM »
I did a 13# turkey in my #2 in about 4 hours, so 9 hours should be plenty of time.   Get to an IT of 165 and you will be ready to rock and roll!  Happy Thanksgiving!
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #3 on: November 28, 2013, 02:31:48 PM »
I started it at 8:35 this morning and right now 12:30 it is at 162F. So 9 was a tad off, thought it sounded too long. At least I got to sleep in a bit.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

sts3d

« Reply #4 on: November 28, 2013, 09:08:07 PM »
OK, I the big bird came out well. Not my best effort but pretty good. Took about 12.5 hours. I did have to put it in the oven at the very end do to time.It stalled at 152 for quite a while.
 I do believe the 12 degree temps last note slowed it down a little. But for my first smoke in a new smoker I'm very happy.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: November 29, 2013, 09:38:26 AM »
Sounds like everybody made out well!   I had a 7# TB in the smoker yesterday...5.5 hours to reach 165IT, let it sit double wrapped in a cooler for 45 minutes.  I got a couple of pieces, the rest was consumed by everyone else.    I also put a pan of stuffing in the smoker after baking for an hour, and foiled the top after smoking for 2.5 hours.  The smoke added some nice flavor.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

sts3d

« Reply #6 on: November 29, 2013, 08:35:48 PM »
I guess it was better than I thought, all the leftovers have been consumed!