Author Topic: Maverick ET-733, iGrill, Thermoworks Thermapen  (Read 16714 times)

cwshiles

• Get out there and Smoke it!
Maverick ET-733, iGrill, Thermoworks Thermapen
« on: November 18, 2013, 12:19:27 PM »
I ordered a Maverick et-733 the other day on Amazon.  I purchased it because I like the idea of walking away from the smoker and taking the receiver up stairs or to my office which does not work with my iGrill.  It has inconsistent Bluetooth connectivity at 50 feet and through walls.

http://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B00FOCR4UI/ref=oh_details_o03_s00_i02?ie=UTF8&psc=1

I proceeded to unpack it, put in the batteries, pair it with the receiver.  Everything was moving along smoothly, until the temps were presenting themselves with a 2-9 degree difference from other temps and each other at room temp.  I decided to put it though a little testing just to make sure I was getting accurate readings.  First I did the ice bath (pics attached) and as you can see, the temps on the Thermopen and the iGrill are spot on 32 degrees.  One probe on the ET-733 reads 34, and the other reads 39.  I then did the same thing with boiling water and the results were consistently wrong the same number of degrees. (no pics of this one).  It does not appear to be the probes, but the probe jacks in the unit.  I switched the probes and still got the same results from jack 1 and jack 2.

For $80, I would have expected this thing to be correct or at least calibrate it make it read correctly.  I know I can adjust up or down for each temp probe, but I really do not want to do that.  I want to trust it. 

Anyone have similar experiences with your Maverick 733 or even 732??

I have had my iGrill for a year or so and it works great as long as I do not go to far away, but it eats up the batter on the iPhone or iPad which is not really a big deal.  I use it for grilling all the time when I doing multiple meats and don't want to stand next to the grill.  The temps were spot on using both probes on the iGrill.

The Thermopen, I have had for many many years.  Its is the old version and is not as fast as the new version, but works great, just not for our smokers because you have to open the door to get temp.  But overall, it works really well and is my go to.  It takes about 8-12 seconds to read instead of 3-7 seconds like the newer ones. 

There is also a little Taylor cheapy ($10) oven thermometer was 2 degrees off.  It was reading 34.3 when it should have been 32. 

I plan to get a PID and possibly hook it up via wifi so I can check the meat temps from wherever I am, but that project is a few months out.  I want to get to know the #3 the way it was intended for use, but I really, really like the idea of programming the steps based on chamber and meat temps.

Charlie from MD
Smokin it Model #3 with Cart
Auber 1503, Maverick ET-733, iGrill

shomesmoke

Re: Maverick ET-733, iGrill, Thermoworks Thermapen
« Reply #1 on: November 19, 2013, 10:52:50 PM »
I have a 732 and both probes read 2 degrees hotter than actual temp.I have checked it several times allways 2 degrees. I can live with that.

My first maverick was one of the old ones that you had to remove the back cover to turn it on, on it the meat probe was perfect but the chamber probe never worked right, one time it would test high the next time low. I called the company on both of them, that was a waste of time.

I now use the ThermoWorks model TW8060 its a dual probe unit and accurate to 1 degree or less. There customer service is second to none. (They stand behind there product!)
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

cwshiles

« Reply #2 on: November 20, 2013, 05:04:44 PM »
I agree!  I am a big fan of the Thermoworks Thermapen I have and I did look at the unit you have, but I wanted the remote monitoring unit, and for $221,  I figured I would try the Maverick because people seem to love them. 

I think if both of my probes were the same and only 2 degees off, I would be able to live with it I think.  I dont like that both units are off, and are also off from one another. 

I may have to look a little closer at one of the Thermoworks again.
Charlie from MD

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: November 20, 2013, 08:10:40 PM »
Guess I got lucky with my 732 - I checked it with ice, and both probes were spot-on 32.  Once, while cooking, a plugged in my old AccuTemp remote digital probe, and my Maverick read the same.  I wonder if there's a way to calibrate the Maverick?  I'll have to look into that...
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

cwshiles

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2013, 11:23:20 AM »
I did some poking around and did not find a way to calibrate the 732.  The 733 is too new to even have support from the manufacturer yet.  I have called them and have not received a response back yet.  I was hoping I could find someone that calibrated the 732 and apply that to the 733, but no go.   Divot, let me know if you find some different info.

I kind of like the 733, but I don't really care about setting alarms on the pit temp.  I am more concerned with the IT of the meat.  I also like that you can set both probes to either BBQ or Meat so  I could connect both probes to different cuts of meat if I ever needed to.  Now I just need to decide of I return the 733 and try again with the 733 or go with a 732.  It seems the 732 gets great reviews all around.

Charlie
Charlie from MD

DivotMaker

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2013, 07:06:02 PM »
I still need to do some checking on the calibration issue.  I have an extra meat probe, and sometimes use a meat probe in the BBQ side on the 732 - works the same.  I guess a temp probe is a temp probe, regardless of the shape. 
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #6 on: November 26, 2013, 11:51:55 PM »
Has anyone cracked open the new units to see if there are pots to adjust the firm settings? If there are (which I might assume there would be) then a small amount of adjusting might fix the temp differences.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

DivotMaker

« Reply #7 on: November 27, 2013, 01:13:06 PM »
According to the troubleshooting section of the Maverick website:

"I tested my thermometer in boiling water and it reads 208ºF instead of the expected 212ºF. Is there anyway to calibrate my digital thermometer?

There is no way to calibrate our units. All of our digital thermometers have a tolerance of +/- (3-4) degrees F so it is normally for the temperature readings to be off by a few degrees."

Probably the end of the story.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2013, 04:43:40 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #8 on: November 27, 2013, 01:22:47 PM »
bummer
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

cwshiles

« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2013, 04:42:28 PM »
It is a bummer.  I called their support dept Monday and confirmed that as well.  They asked me to send it back and they would check it for issues and if they found an issue, they replace the board in the transmitter.  They just replace the board, they do not calibrate.  I just received a new one about 5 minutes ago at my doorstep that I ordered from Amazon.  I will let you know when I plug it in and perform the tests whether my issues have been resolved.

Thanks
Charlie from MD

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2013, 10:44:22 PM »
I hope that the new one works better for you.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2013, 03:38:54 AM »
Any word on the new unit as far as temps?
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2

cwshiles

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2013, 06:03:37 PM »
I did test out the new unit and it appears to only be 1 degree off on one probe and 2 on the other. I can live with that, but I may return it anyway. Once I put either the PID or cyberQ in the #3, I don't really need the Maverick. The iGrill is still more accurate. I find myself using it also because I don't trust the Maverick for some reason.

Anyway, hope you guys all have better luck than I did with the Maverick.
Charlie from MD

Walt

« Reply #13 on: January 28, 2014, 05:05:48 PM »
Can you order a 733 with the 6' probes?  Read something about an improved US made probe for it but havnt been able to locate it.  I may pick up a 733 & the new igrill2 when it comes out to play with alongside my TW8060.  Thermoworks came out with a Bluetooth version (Bluetherm Duo) but the reports I have read indicates the Bluetooth is terrible.   Has anyone used one of these yet? Another interesting one that may actually fit my needs more is the Tappecue but havn't heard much about from anyone.  No bluetooth limitations as it runs through your home wifi.
« Last Edit: January 28, 2014, 08:18:40 PM by Walt »
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

Three Sons BBQ

« Reply #14 on: January 28, 2014, 09:57:14 PM »
Folks:
What of those listed ... is the best with temp probe to monitor stuff remotely around my house and plot it out?

This is not functional at all..... just a toy I'm wonder what is best... I have an iPad... I'm not sold on that interface.... but whatever you guys think.

Steve

8)
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!