Author Topic: Verdict: Best ribs ever!  (Read 16542 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Verdict: Best ribs ever!
« Reply #15 on: July 07, 2013, 06:29:38 PM »
Look at it this way, Muttley ... Thomas Edison failed over 9,000 times before he finally succeeded in finding a filament that would work.  Thomas Edison couldn't eat his near-miss mistakes ... but you and your family can.    ;D
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Muttley

« Reply #16 on: July 07, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »
I went 1 for two, which I don't really understand.  They both were good, but one was definitely better.  First rack had a nice texture, juicy, good flavor, and I thought a little too much smoke.  The second rack (pictured), perfect in almost every aspect, markedly different.  My buddy who was my critic said he'd pay money for the second rack, it's what he'd expect from a menu, although I thought they were falling off the bone too willing.  Truly the second rack was better, in fact it was as though they were two different recipes.  It had a different texture, taste, and the smoke content seemed way less.  .  They were equal in every aspect with regards to prep, rub, cooking etc.  I did them 2-1-1.  By no means were they failures, but given the parity, I don't know where they came out being so much different. 

UWFSAE

« Reply #17 on: July 07, 2013, 10:26:48 PM »
Mutt, this is one of the greatest frustrations of smoking and is experienced by all smokers regardless of equipment or experience.

Meat plays a large role ... while buying from a butcher who sources exclusively from a specific farm or ranch would be ideal, most of us shop at big box retailers who receive their meats and poultry from a variety of producers.  Feed and care of the animal will affect the meat, as will the handling both prior to slaughter and after, the skill of the butcher, the care of the packaged product while in the store ... the list goes on and on.

Then you throw in our prep methods.  While a good process and an adherence to said process will be huge, if we have to make a new batch of rub between cuts, or the proximity to the smoke box or top vent, or even slight differences in the resting cycle can individually or cumulatively affect the quality of the finished barbecue.

More than likely, you're seeing a combo of meat quality and proximity to the heating element/smoker box.  Next time, stick to a replicable process (rub prep, immediate refrigeration under ideal temps, and then a 3-2-1 method for spares or a 2-2-1 for babybacks and you'll be good to go.

If you're still wanting to do a little Scooby Doo work, perhaps take a single rack of ribs and cut it in half prior to your prep and then deduce whether placement in the smoker resulted in the outcome you observed.  Nonetheless, congrats on a good meal to close out the weekend!
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: July 08, 2013, 10:21:06 PM »
Those look pretty darn good to me, Mutt!  I'd say "job well-done!"  Joe has some really good points about replicating the process.  If we want (close to) the same results, we have to be able to repeat all the steps; then we can tell where the "variables" play a factor.  Overall, I'd say it looks like a success!  Any time you have a buddy tell you they'd pay for your Q, you have a winner!  That should tell you how good meat can turn out in a Smokin-It, as opposed to some of the commercial restaurants!  It's amazing how conditioned people are to "so-so" bbq!  BTW, ain't nothin' wrong with "falling off the bone," unless you're in a competition!  I, personally, find that style much easier on the pallet!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Muttley

« Reply #19 on: August 10, 2013, 04:24:36 PM »
All right, getting ready to start the rub...and I read the mustard thread this time.  Just for the Pepsi Challenge affect, I'm going to do one with mustard, one without.  I'm stubborn and I want to see the difference side-by-side. 

It's go time... 8)

UWFSAE

« Reply #20 on: August 10, 2013, 05:01:23 PM »
Good luck with that.  I've been toying with molasses as a binding agent recently ... since you're sitting on a box of peach wood you might want to use peach preserves or apricot jelly as a binding agent for your spice rub; I think it could really bring something to the table and create a very consistent taste to match your wood choice.
Joe from Houston, TX

puddle jumper

« Reply #21 on: August 10, 2013, 10:11:13 PM »
Good thread,,,
 I have had good luck using honey as a binder if you like your ribs sweet,,,

I was also thinking about all the talk about the "weight" of the wood being "to much" or "not enough", would it not depend on the type of wood you are using as to how much to use,,, some woods like oak, hickory,mesquite, are naturally heavier tasting smoke then the fruit woods???

Good luck with the smoke...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

Muttley

« Reply #22 on: August 12, 2013, 10:55:32 PM »
Good thread,,,
 I have had good luck using honey as a binder if you like your ribs sweet,,,

I was also thinking about all the talk about the "weight" of the wood being "to much" or "not enough", would it not depend on the type of wood you are using as to how much to use,,, some woods like oak, hickory,mesquite, are naturally heavier tasting smoke then the fruit woods???

Good luck with the smoke...
PJ

It went well, I posted up the results in the Pork forum.  ((that sounds funny-->Pork forum))

UWFSAE

« Reply #23 on: August 12, 2013, 11:44:35 PM »
After you spend a few months obsessing over your meat and posting pics of it for everyone to see ... well, it'll still be funny I'm sad to say.   ;D
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #24 on: August 13, 2013, 07:26:47 PM »
Hehe....you said Pork Forum. ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Spresso

« Reply #25 on: August 15, 2013, 10:09:08 PM »
Apricot jam!  what a great idea...
 I always loved to eat apricot preserves as a child with PORK products....
could even mix the 2.... mustard, jam...
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

UWFSAE

« Reply #26 on: August 15, 2013, 11:09:34 PM »
Yup ... the flavor of your binding agent will be mild no matter what you choose; I've even used Sriracha and the heat was muted during the smoking process.

I think mustard and peach go well together so I don't see a lack of harmony between mustard and apricot; I say go for it on a small pork butt to see if it holds up to a long smoke and then unleash hell on some ribs.   ;D
Joe from Houston, TX

Spresso

« Reply #27 on: August 28, 2013, 07:39:21 AM »
Joe, I did a mix of mustard and apricot jam. I also smoked the PP with apricot wood. 
was one of the best PP I ever made. The apricot wood had a really nice addictive aroma throughout the smoke..
I think I will be using that in many of my future smokes. And the small apricot pieces added a hint of delicate sweetness.  Yeah a definite success with this mix.... I had 10 people that couldn't stop eating....
I got one comment from someone whose opinion "matters": 'you hit another one out of the ballpark'
All it needed was a 2.75 oz chunk.  And yeah the chunks seem to be higher quality than the chips I had been using.
Zed from Southern Ontario
Smokin-It-all on the #3
Grillin-the-rest on the Weber

UWFSAE

« Reply #28 on: August 28, 2013, 07:52:33 PM »
Glad the apricot worked for you Spresso ... I may have to do a comparison between the peach wood I typically use and apricot wood.   :)
Joe from Houston, TX