Author Topic: Verdict: Best ribs ever!  (Read 15517 times)

kujobie

Verdict: Best ribs ever!
« on: April 07, 2013, 05:07:12 PM »
Just finished the maiden voyage on my Model #2, or as I call it, R2D2.  Unbelieveable!  Best ribs I've ever eaten.  Wow.  I don't know what else to say except that my charcoal smoker will be given away at the next garage sale..  The family was impressed.  And I will repeat that one wood chunk is enough.  Easy smoke, easy clean up.  I love it!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Verdict: Best ribs ever!
« Reply #1 on: April 07, 2013, 05:43:55 PM »
Sweet smell (taste) of success.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Rob Babcock

« Reply #2 on: April 08, 2013, 04:16:35 PM »
Glad to see you're loving the new smoker! 8)

lleone

« Reply #3 on: May 25, 2013, 04:52:55 PM »
Great to hear...taking my maiden voyage right now with 5 racks of ribs. 
I put in 3 pieces of wood...hope it's not too much.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #4 on: May 25, 2013, 07:05:04 PM »
lleone, it truly is a matter of taste ... while too much smoke will definitely produce a bitter flavor, I do prefer a heavier smoke than many; I'll typically add two chunks at the beginning of a rib smoke and may add a chunk during if the meat hasn't warmed to 140 or above for things like brisket or pork butt.  I do tend to use only a single chunk for chicken and other fowl.

Best of luck with the ribs!
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

Alphax

• "Brakes just slow you down..."
« Reply #5 on: May 25, 2013, 07:15:18 PM »
Just finished the maiden voyage on my Model #2, or as I call it, R2D2.  Unbelieveable!  Best ribs I've ever eaten.  Wow.  I don't know what else to say except that my charcoal smoker will be given away at the next garage sale..  The family was impressed.  And I will repeat that one wood chunk is enough.  Easy smoke, easy clean up.  I love it!

Did you use the blocks that came with...?  Or what wood did you use?

-B
-Brian
Model #2

kujobie

« Reply #6 on: May 25, 2013, 10:03:28 PM »
I used the wood that came with it and bought more after reading the reviews.  It came out awesome.  Big bag of Hickory dowels.  Will last us for a while.

Muttley

« Reply #7 on: May 29, 2013, 10:20:22 AM »
I did two racks this weekend.  Three chunks of mesquite which I think was 1.) too much; 2.) too dry and might have smoked too quickly.  Just seemed like too much smoke too soon.  Wife thought it was too smokey.  I have some peach wood on order. 

They were in for almost 5 hours @ 225 and they were a little drier than I would have preferred.  I rubbed th with olive oil before the rub went on. I used a pan filled with apple juice in the bottom.  Texture was perfect, the bones picked clean. 

Overall they were pretty good, going to focus on the moisture retention.  Maybe a mop at the 3.5 hour mark?  I hate to open the smoker once its going though. 

shomesmoke

« Reply #8 on: May 30, 2013, 02:23:35 PM »
I did two racks this weekend.  Three chunks of mesquite which I think was 1.) too much; 2.) too dry and might have smoked too quickly.  Just seemed like too much smoke too soon.  Wife thought it was too smokey.  I have some peach wood on order. 

They were in for almost 5 hours @ 225 and they were a little drier than I would have preferred.  I rubbed th with olive oil before the rub went on. I used a pan filled with apple juice in the bottom.  Texture was perfect, the bones picked clean. 

Overall they were pretty good, going to focus on the moisture retention.  Maybe a mop at the 3.5 hour mark?  I hate to open the smoker once its going though.

I have the #3 and I agree the ribs are tender but do start to dry out more than I like also. I have been using an ounce and a half of apple wood, seems about right for my family. Was going to try foiling after 3 hours but I dont really want smothered ribs.
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
« Reply #9 on: May 30, 2013, 03:02:51 PM »
I've smoked seven different sessions of ribs (about 20 racks total) and found very quickly that:

1.  Yellow mustard schmear, dry rubbed, and plastic wrapped in fridge overnight is a solid system ... moist and tender every time.
2.  Direct liquid (spritzing with apple juice) produces slightly better outcomes than a water pan.
3.  Marinating the ribs produces a very different flavor profile and texture (due to the salt in the marinade).

The foiling method is outstanding for traditional smokers ... but I've found it to be unnecessary with the #3. 

With regard to environmental factors, I do live in a humid area (Texas Gulf Coast) but I doubt that this plays a role; altitude, however, is a concern for some folks.

My two cents ... an overnight prep and held 12-24 hours in the fridge, followed by heavy spritzes of apple juice at the second and fourth hour mark is the easiest method for tender, juicy ribs.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

shomesmoke

« Reply #10 on: May 30, 2013, 04:36:16 PM »
Thanks for the info, I have used mustard on butts but never thought about trying it on ribs. If it isnt raining all weekend I might give it a try.  Thanks
Mark from Missouri
Smokin It #3

Muttley

« Reply #11 on: May 30, 2013, 09:36:30 PM »
I've smoked seven different sessions of ribs (about 20 racks total) and found very quickly that:

1.  Yellow mustard schmear, dry rubbed, and plastic wrapped in fridge overnight is a solid system ... moist and tender every time.
2.  Direct liquid (spritzing with apple juice) produces slightly better outcomes than a water pan.
3.  Marinating the ribs produces a very different flavor profile and texture (due to the salt in the marinade).

The foiling method is outstanding for traditional smokers ... but I've found it to be unnecessary with the #3. 

With regard to environmental factors, I do live in a humid area (Texas Gulf Coast) but I doubt that this plays a role; altitude, however, is a concern for some folks.

My two cents ... an overnight prep and held 12-24 hours in the fridge, followed by heavy spritzes of apple juice at the second and fourth hour mark is the easiest method for tender, juicy ribs.

Thanks, I'll give this (these) tries next time.

Rob Babcock

« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2013, 02:34:20 AM »
I generally thinly coat  ribs with mustard to keep the rub on them.  No issues for me with them drying out.  For my own tastes three chunks of wood is waaaaaay too much!  Typically I weigh out the wood on an electronic scale; for most purposes 2 oz is plenty.  Much more than that and it's too smokey for me.  I prefer a more subtle flavor.

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2013, 04:53:41 PM »
I have been using the 2-2-1 method for baby backs, and I add some BBQ on top for the final hour.  In the middle period, I foil the ribs meat down and add some apple juice.   I have not experienced dried out ribs with this method.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Muttley

« Reply #14 on: July 07, 2013, 06:15:59 PM »
Well, I should have opened this up two hours ago.  For reasons I cannot explain I feel I am doomed to repeat history.  At least I have them in foil this time at the hour point.  Aside from that, well, I pretty much through everything else out the window.  We'll see what happens when the time is up.