Author Topic: Auber PID  (Read 30695 times)

Three Sons BBQ

Re: Auber PID
« Reply #45 on: January 07, 2014, 04:42:02 AM »
Bocaboy:

You may not have to bypass. My experience is that you will want to. The temp probe of the SI unit is in the upper left corner if looking into the unit. I have experienced cooks where the temperature in that corner is trapped by a pocket of hotter air versus rack temp recorded by the Auber probe. In one case Auber stuck at 186 F but programmed to 225 F. Well this was because the Auber was commanding it on but with the rheostat inline from the controller, the Si was commanding the element off. So off it stayed. There may be a number of reasons for this... Using a water pan is one documented reason (although it perplexes me as to why) etc.

Now I thought i didn't need to bypass. Then one day... Ran across this issue... Luckily it was with two racks of ribs only for my family... Sure wouldn't want that happening to me on a long cook with a lot of guests coming over.  :-\

I think since Auber sales are relatively new, folks are kind of coming to the conclusion that bypassing is desirable.

Ultimately I'm guessing SI team will make a convenient spot on the smoker to add a bypass on the outside ( maybe a simple cover plate that can be removed and a few jumper placements?). This as opposed to new users opening up their devices and monkeying with all the wiring and insulation.  They still could keep the same warranty claims in place and all that, but seems logical next step.
« Last Edit: January 07, 2014, 04:44:16 AM by Polish Q »
Brinkmann '07... Offset '11... Smokin-It '13!!!

SmokinTrojan

Re: Auber PID
« Reply #46 on: January 09, 2014, 12:11:27 AM »
Folks, I'm really new to this smoker, but as an architect who has friends that give me smoked meat and fish I spent perhaps 6 months looking at the options. I finally bought the house with a #3 and the Auber. Now 2 weeks later with this unit I'm convinced they really work together, and I know I made the right choice. Out of the box I thought my Auber may need to be re-programmed for the #3. Nope, mine tracks perfectly even in below freezing temperature. First try with brisket and the Auber covered for me and it came out perfect. This Auber thing has a lot of capability that will take some time for me to grasp. My opinion; if you buy any smoker without this item...get your lawn chair and watch your smoker 24/7 winter and summer.
Bob's making smoke in liberty lake, wa