Author Topic: Spatchcock Chicken & Quarters  (Read 1897 times)

NorthernSmoke

Spatchcock Chicken & Quarters
« on: June 29, 2020, 10:56:49 AM »
My second smoke on my 3D. Went with a spatchcock chicken and quarters. All were pre-seasoned from the store. I decided to go lighter on the smoke and went with about 1 3/4oz of apple wood.

I'm pretty green when it comes to the digital controller. My first smoke doing ribs was easy, I just set temp and time. This time around it was a bit more confusing, but I got it figured out. I set the temp to 250F and set the trigger for the P2 food probe to 165F. It started to alarm almost instantly. So, I figured it must be cycling through all 6 steps. I just quickly went through and reprogrammed the others to a temp of 0. Not sure if that is the right way to do it, but it worked out.

Newb question on the other probe (P3 temperature probe)... I would use that to monitor another piece of meat correct? Does that one only monitor temperature or can you trigger on it? I'm assuming it is only to monitor temp.

Anyway, it was a successful second smoke, they chicken turned out moist and delicious!

Tom from MN
SI 3D
Weber Kettle
Brinkmann Pitmaster deluxe barrel smoker

barelfly

Re: Spatchcock Chicken & Quarters
« Reply #1 on: June 29, 2020, 01:02:02 PM »
Tom,

Your chicken looks great!

As for the question on the programming, if you are going off of a program for food temp, then that is what you are able to program in each program, that or time and temp of the box. If I understand your question correctly?

But I have three programs set up for mine, P1 is a ramp up temp, P2 is a smoke temp and then P3 is a hold temp - all of these are set for a specific amount of time. If i were to change the cook to a food temp, I’d change out the second program to cook to an internal temp and then go to the holding program.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

NorthernSmoke

« Reply #2 on: June 30, 2020, 09:37:52 AM »
Tom,

Your chicken looks great!

As for the question on the programming, if you are going off of a program for food temp, then that is what you are able to program in each program, that or time and temp of the box. If I understand your question correctly?

But I have three programs set up for mine, P1 is a ramp up temp, P2 is a smoke temp and then P3 is a hold temp - all of these are set for a specific amount of time. If i were to change the cook to a food temp, I’d change out the second program to cook to an internal temp and then go to the holding program.

Hopefully that makes sense.

Yeah, that makes sense. I think I just need to use it a lot more and get used to what I can do with it. It's a good problem to have.  :D
Tom from MN
SI 3D
Weber Kettle

buggarilla

« Reply #3 on: June 30, 2020, 04:28:38 PM »
Hey Tom -

Chicken does look really good - what was the temp and time?

_______
Dave from NJ
SI 3DW
Dave from NJ
SI 3DW
Smokin-It in Lavallette

ReliableRick

« Reply #4 on: July 01, 2020, 09:27:39 AM »
Awesome looking chicken. I've got the 2d. The controller was a little overwhelming at first but after asking a few questions and testing some things I am starting to get the hang of it.
Rick, 4 hours and 14 minutes northeast of Smokin-IT warehouse
Model 2D owner (Newbie)
I love being outdoors, being self reliant, and feeding people.

NorthernSmoke

« Reply #5 on: July 01, 2020, 03:06:13 PM »
Hey Tom -

Chicken does look really good - what was the temp and time?

_______
Dave from NJ
SI 3DW

I cooked it at 250F to an internal temp of 165F. It took just short of 2hrs to hit that point.
Tom from MN
SI 3D
Weber Kettle

PhilH

« Reply #6 on: July 11, 2020, 08:56:12 PM »
I’m smoking 2 whole chickens 🐓 tomorrow.

Going to use the meat for chicken salad, so I am currently looking for an appropriate brine.
Phillip   Ramsey MN