Author Topic: Chicken/Turkey stock  (Read 1061 times)

kona77

Chicken/Turkey stock
« on: August 02, 2020, 12:55:56 PM »

Saw a post a couple of weeks ago from PhilH about a chicken smoke and he mentioned making
stock with the left over bird, skin etc. Never thought about using up poultry by making stock and it sounded like
a great idea.  I smoked a 7lb turkey breast yesterday (it was moist and delicious) and threw the leftover carcass,
skin etc in a large pot today and let cook down for over an hour. The remaining broth/stock is outstanding. Ended up
with just over a quart.. Really has a rich/concentrated flavor and you can even taste the smoke in the broth. Will make for a great soup or stock for a future meal or two.. Give it a try after your next chicken/turkey smoke. (Thanks to PhilH for the suggestion)
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

barelfly

Re: Chicken/Turkey stock
« Reply #1 on: August 02, 2020, 04:17:02 PM »
Take half of that and cook it down even more, then add more bones and veg. You will amp up the flavor like crazy if you let that slowly reduce for hours.

I keep a bag of stuff in the freezer and once it gets to the point of enough, I’ll make a stock, but always try to use some stock from the previous cook.

And if you like shrimp, make a shrimp stock with the shells. This is much quicker of a stock process compared to chicken. But is wonderful!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear