Author Topic: Blowing Fuse  (Read 643 times)

mihatsu

Blowing Fuse
« on: August 20, 2023, 12:45:45 PM »
I have a couple of years old model 1# series 4 which started to blow a 15AMP fuse. I have always used the same outlet and I have not added any other electric device in the same fuse so obviously something is failing inside the smoker.  I measured heating element resistance straight from the element connectors and it was 37 ohm. Same from power cable as well. All cables were in good shape and had no indication about overheating. The fuse blows a ~1 second after turning the smoker on so I get the red light before it blows. Is this the heating element problem or something else?

sabireley

Re: Blowing Fuse
« Reply #1 on: August 20, 2023, 01:08:08 PM »
Where is the fuse? Do you mean a breaker or a GFI tripping? 
Steve from Virginia
Smokin-It #3
Auber WSD1200GPH

mihatsu

« Reply #2 on: August 20, 2023, 02:49:29 PM »
Where is the fuse? Do you mean a breaker or a GFI tripping?

The breaker in the panel

mihatsu

« Reply #3 on: August 20, 2023, 03:39:09 PM »
I tried it again after it has been sitting by itself a while and then it lasted 5sec before breaker failed. After it I tried again then it failed right away. So looks that it is related to the heating element temperature. It gets pretty hot in 5s.

mihatsu

« Reply #4 on: August 20, 2023, 05:42:40 PM »
I got it work. I did heating/cooling cycles and in every cycle it was able to run longer until it finally did not breaker did not trip anymore. Maybe it was moisture inside the heating element.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 20, 2023, 10:43:42 PM »
I think you nailed it: accumulated moisture.  Next time, wipe down the interior with paper towels to soak up any condensation and then use a hair dryer to dry out the interior around the element and nooks and crannies. You can also let the smoker run for a while after using.  Just remove any water pan if you use one and remove the foil if heavily greased/oiled.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus