Author Topic: Wide temp range?  (Read 2146 times)

Umwolverines

Wide temp range?
« on: June 17, 2018, 03:36:38 PM »
Can anyone suggest what might be happening - the past two times (incl today) that I’ve been using my model 2 for a few racks of ribs I’ve seen a very wide temp range.  I’ve put in a couple chunks of hickory, put in the ribs, closed it up and turn it (set it to 230-5 on the dial non digital). I’m using an internal temp thermometer (not meat probe) and It gets going find but I see it running all the way up to 265-72.  I’m not opening the door at all.  So then I turned it down to 225 and can feel the knob ‘click’ when I turned to about 225 and next thing I know it’s down at 200.  I realize there will be a range but I thought it was maybe +/- 20 degrees at the most.  Do others see this wide of a range?  Any ideas to help?  Many thanks!!  And happy Father’s Day!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Wide temp range?
« Reply #1 on: June 17, 2018, 07:50:03 PM »
The smokers do have a temperature swing.  On initial fire up the swing on the high side might go higher until the smoker is hot. I say might. Since you are using a remote to monitor, does it calm down after awhile and become more reasonable? Also, the high temp might be a spike caused by the wood igniting. Kind of hard to tell. You might want to try a dummy load (small pan with damp sand) in the smoker and no wood and just let it run for a couple of hours and check to see if the temp swings are more in line with the specs.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Umwolverines

« Reply #2 on: June 17, 2018, 10:16:47 PM »
Thanks for the suggestion.  It’s not just on initial fire up but even a couple hours in.

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: June 18, 2018, 12:21:12 AM »
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

TX Gent

« Reply #4 on: June 18, 2018, 08:08:35 AM »
Seems your chasing the back-end temp tail as it moves up and down through cycles.

Ribs are really hard to use a meat probe in as so much bone and sometimes fat pockets don't always give and accurate report. Time/temp, no look around 225/5hrs/4-6oz will general be a good average starting point for most ribs. 
John ... Smokin #2  South of "Hells' Half Acre" and along ol' Deer Creek

EFGM

« Reply #5 on: June 20, 2018, 08:00:07 AM »
You did not mention how old your #2 is but if it’s had many smokes on it you might check your pit probe and clean it off. Could possibly be causing the issue.
Doug
Carrollton
A Briskitarian with Briskititus
#4D w/Big Red Upgrade: PG1000: Fireboard

"SMOKIN-IT CARES"

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #6 on: June 20, 2018, 06:35:58 PM »
Do not attempt to monitor or chase box temp on an analog smoker. There will be big swings but the average will be where you set it.

Also you do not need a temp probe for ribs. Cook by time and check tenderness at the end of that time. I have not found many racks that are not ready to eat after four hours at 250.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud