Author Topic: Neely's Sweet & Spicy Coleslaw  (Read 2201 times)

jpittssr

Neely's Sweet & Spicy Coleslaw
« on: September 07, 2014, 11:30:29 AM »
This is from the book "Down Home With The Neelys" If you don't have it, you might want to pickup a copy. It came out in 2009 but I think you can find it on Amazon. I am not going to do a review of the book except say that this coleslaw is the one we make when we are having BBQ regardless of the type meat.
While it is a sweet slaw, it has a definite bite.

Sweet and Spicy Slaw
1 small head green cabbage
1 small head red/purple cabbage
4 carrots
1 medium yellow onion
1/2 cup mayonnaise
1/4 cup prepared yellow mustard
2 teaspoons apple cider vinegar
1 cup sugar
1 teaspoon freshly ground black pepper
1/2 teaspoon cayenne pepper.
Kosher salt

Cut the cabbages into quarters and remove the cores.Peel the carrots and onion and slice them to fit through the food processor.
Some people like a slaw cut extremely fine and others like a coarse slaw so, use the processor to your liking.
In a large bowl toss all this to combine well.

In a medium bowl, whisk together the mayonnaise, mustard vinegar, sugar, black pepper and cayenne (Whisk until the sugar is dissolved)
Toss the dressing with the coleslaw and season with Kosher salt and additional pepper to taste. ( let the taste linger a few seconds to get the full effect.)
Cover the slaw with plastic wrap and chill for at least 2 hours.
Keeps well in the refrigerator for days.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: Neely's Sweet & Spicy Coleslaw
« Reply #1 on: September 07, 2014, 07:08:40 PM »
I have had this in their restaurant it was very good. Even my wife the coleslaw snob said it was "not bad". Not bad is strong words from a woman that has spent her entire adult life in search of coleslaw as good as the chicken place in her home town as a child.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud