Author Topic: Rocker Switch Help Needed  (Read 9930 times)

coachB

Re: Rocker Switch Help Needed
« Reply #15 on: March 09, 2015, 03:39:20 PM »
OK, I've now done 3 smokes since the initial setup.  I wasn't completely satisfied with the 1st one.  When I did the second I discovered I had the switch clicked in the wrong position and had the Auber controlling the stock unit. The 2nd and 3rd smokes have been with the Auber in full control and have been working exactly as I wanted with this setup.

I am currently running a 4th smoke with 2 pork butts that were brined according to Tony's directions and also injected for ha ha's.  They have been holding temps with basically no fluctuation the entire smoke.  They have been in since around 9:00 last night, through the stall, and are about 5 degrees shy of done.

The 3rd smoke I did was Dave's pork loin to Canadian bacon.  Super easy and the best I've ever had.  Kudos to Superdave.

The only smoke that has been a "meh" was bb ribs.  That was not predictable because I inadvertently had the stock controller in charge and had a lot of temp fluctuations.  When using the Auber and the meat temp probe things have been perfect.  Got to figure how to use the Auber meat probe with ribs.

Thanks again guys for the help with setting this up and for the great recipes.  Can't wait to try bellies and doing sausage.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: March 09, 2015, 09:48:19 PM »
So good to hear everything is coming together, Coach!  That's what we're all about around here!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

coachB

« Reply #17 on: March 10, 2015, 10:38:43 PM »
Finished the 2 pork butts--finally.  Boy, was I off on timing.  I thought they were cooking fast, but I was wrong.  There were actually 2 stalls.  The last 10 degrees took a looooong time.  For 16-17 lbs they were probably right on time.  They hit 195 at 33hrs.  There was zero cabinet temp fluctuation whenever I checked.  None.  At 195 the Auber ratcheted down to 140 as programmed, but I pulled the butts at 195 and double foiled and into a cooler.  Two hrs later I got the bear claws and pulled.  Unbelievably moist and tasted great.  Brining is definitely the way to go.  Thanks again Tony.  Two butts in the full size Briner worked well.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #18 on: March 12, 2015, 07:00:49 PM »
Glad you liked it, Bill - thanks!  But, wow, 33 hours for 2 butts?  What temp did you set at?  Unless you have them jammed together, they should smoke like a single butt.  You might try 240 for 2 next time, and see if you can get a more reasonable time.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

coachB

« Reply #19 on: March 12, 2015, 11:00:44 PM »
Yeah, my initial reaction was that was a long time, but when I thought about it I wasn't so sure.  They were a mirror image in size and shape, total weight between 16-17 lbs, about an inch separation, at 225.  That works out to about 2 hrs a lb.  I do think the next time I do multiple butts I will set at 235, maybe 240.
In any case, the results were very good.