Author Topic: External Smoke Generator - What's your thoughts  (Read 45800 times)

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: External Smoke Generator - What's your thoughts
« Reply #15 on: February 18, 2019, 10:09:38 PM »
What would happen if the smoke was  physically routed through a chamber of ice enroute to the smoker?  Enter the chamber via one orifice and exit the chamber via a second orifice and onto the smoker?  Would the condensation occur in the chamber and be drier when it entered the smoker?
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

LTS

« Reply #16 on: February 19, 2019, 03:50:04 PM »
 Sounds like a great idea ,  I have a model  #1 and #4    The #1 has a Smokemiester and they do make condensation I installed a ball valve to drain the creosote ended up not using it. When the #4 came I enlarged  the drain hole right out of the box I use the Amazin 5x8 pellet trey and have no trouble keeping it lit. The drawback with for me the flash point of the pellets the 4 has that big heating element . For me the best that I've liked is the mail box mod. the smoke gets cooled.

HTH    Paul

snakyjake

« Reply #17 on: March 20, 2019, 03:06:06 PM »
Might the smoke generator create a different smoke flavor profile or add more smoke layers for pulled pork?
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #18 on: March 20, 2019, 08:44:46 PM »
Good question.  My own take on this, and without ever having used an external smoke source is that smoke flavor is smoke flavor regardless of whether it be hot smoke or relatively cool smoke.  Hopefully someone with experience using an external smoke device can provide some solid insight as to the flavor profile. Regarding layers, I would think (after ruining a butt) that the longer a piece of meat sits in a stream of smoke, the more flavor it gets, at least on the exterior. My ruined butt was very bitter, and the tacky coating on the exterior had the consistency of creosote.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

SmokinItInfo

• Administrator
« Reply #19 on: April 30, 2019, 06:23:10 PM »
Hello Smoker Nation,

update on the external smoke generator,  We are now working on our second prototype.  we needed to make some adjustments in the design.  Looks to be a stainless steel square vertical burn chamber. with the hope to have a large enough chamber to support a smoke for 5 or 6 hours before having to re load with more wood.  We have tried various mounting locations on the smoker and I believe we might go with a door mount.  Seems to work well with little or no condensation issues.  We should be able to also offer a pre drilled door setup for the customers that don't want to drill a hole into a smoker.  Or you could actually mount the generator anywhere you want.  We plan on posting some photos to review after we do more testing on this second prototype     

snakyjake

« Reply #20 on: April 30, 2019, 08:01:49 PM »
Here is some information posted by Meathead Goldwyn at AmazingRibs regarding electric smokers:
You can use sawdust and wood chips with some electric grills, and get a nice smoke flavor, but it is different from other smoke flavors because the wood smolders at a low temp. Electric smokers can make smoke from wood, but the burn temp is so low that the flavor is very different than gas or charcoal smokers, and in my mind, inferior for most foods.

So I'm curious if the external smoke source can be better optimized for the smoke profile flavor, since it doesn't have to also be used to produce heat?  The solution sounds simple; just need to optimize the heat temperature of the smoking wood.

Thanks,
Jake

Good question.  My own take on this, and without ever having used an external smoke source is that smoke flavor is smoke flavor regardless of whether it be hot smoke or relatively cool smoke.  Hopefully someone with experience using an external smoke device can provide some solid insight as to the flavor profile. Regarding layers, I would think (after ruining a butt) that the longer a piece of meat sits in a stream of smoke, the more flavor it gets, at least on the exterior. My ruined butt was very bitter, and the tacky coating on the exterior had the consistency of creosote.
Jake from WA.
WSM, BGE, #3D

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #21 on: April 30, 2019, 09:38:22 PM »
Hello Smoker Nation,

update on the external smoke generator,  We are now working on our second prototype.  we needed to make some adjustments in the design.  Looks to be a stainless steel square vertical burn chamber. with the hope to have a large enough chamber to support a smoke for 5 or 6 hours before having to re load with more wood.  We have tried various mounting locations on the smoker and I believe we might go with a door mount.  Seems to work well with little or no condensation issues.  We should be able to also offer a pre drilled door setup for the customers that don't want to drill a hole into a smoker.  Or you could actually mount the generator anywhere you want.  We plan on posting some photos to review after we do more testing on this second prototype     

Thanks for thew update!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Cheezhead

« Reply #22 on: August 29, 2019, 11:52:21 AM »
Hi folks
Wondering if there has been any progress on this option? I would love to keep my family’s tradition of cold smoked sausage alive with today’s technology.
Thanks in advance for your reply.

LuvMyQ

« Reply #23 on: August 31, 2019, 09:09:30 AM »
Count me in as one who needs a user friendly option for cold smoking.  Anxious to see progress in this.
Terry from Indiana
3D WIFI
Weber Performer (Kettle in a cart with a gas igniter)Formerly owned WSM 18"
Never had a gas grill
I love technology
Counting the years to retirement

martinman54

« Reply #24 on: September 07, 2019, 11:20:40 AM »
 Heck ya!  Count me in on the external smoke generator.....perfect idea for smoking my homemade deer links and bacon!

Tony from Texas

SmokinItInfo

• Administrator
« Reply #25 on: September 07, 2019, 05:20:46 PM »
Hello Smokin-it Nation,

Thought I would post our new external smoke generator.  Made from all stainless steel, comes apart into 5 pcs for easy cleaning. Will also include a variable speed air pump.   Holds approx. 2 pounds of wood pellets.  In our testing we were able to produce smoke for up to 6 hours without reloading the generator.   We have a very limited supply at this time.
cost will be $129.99 delivered.   I will be posting more pics and a video shortly
« Last Edit: September 23, 2019, 02:28:32 PM by BHamel »

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #26 on: September 07, 2019, 07:51:56 PM »
Looks mighty nice from where I'm sitting. Should be a hit with the folks who cold smoke. 
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Scold

« Reply #27 on: September 07, 2019, 08:45:57 PM »
I’m so in!  As soon as they go on the website, I’m gonna order that, my new 3D, cart and hella accessories.  ;D

martinman54

« Reply #28 on: September 07, 2019, 09:07:13 PM »
Looks great!  How much for one mounted on a 4-D door shipped?

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #29 on: September 08, 2019, 01:30:09 AM »
I’m so in!  As soon as they go on the website, I’m gonna order that, my new 3D, cart and hella accessories.  ;D
Based upon what was posted about a limited supply, you may want to contact Steve direct via email regarding a purchase.  Keep in mind that to mount the unit will require drilling and stainless steel is pretty tough stuff to drill.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus