Author Topic: Airflow  (Read 24226 times)

elkins20

• Smokin it best electric smoker bar none!
Re: Airflow
« Reply #45 on: August 05, 2015, 08:47:32 PM »
Then there are some of us that do not care for chicken. But, once or twice a year will appease my wife and smoke chicken on one of the Weber's. I use the smokin-it for pork and beef. And hopefully will be able to smoke almonds soon as now have all the items needed to make seafood grills. Stainless steel 3/16 bar, and ss mesh cloth with 1/4" opening. Also seems like I read earlier in your post you was going to add 3/4" pipe to the rear hole to deter drippings out of the rear hole. Is that still in your thoughts?
« Last Edit: August 05, 2015, 08:56:55 PM by elkins20 »
Bill SI#1, SI#3, 2 Auber Pids, Cold Smoke Plate for the #3, Large Weber kettle, Smoky Joe Weber, and 2006 Harley softail deuce for stress relief,  from Kansas City, Missouri

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #46 on: August 05, 2015, 08:48:42 PM »
I hear what you're saying about the dripping at the rear hole, but it just doesn't happen.

and guess what....
it happened.  two chickens and I found drippings coming out of the rear hole when cleaning up today.
looks like the fan will be going in along with a bulkhead. ::)
Joe, in FL
Smoking It #3, Auber PID WSD-1500GPH, 23cfm of boost

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #47 on: August 05, 2015, 09:25:23 PM »
Glad you took that in the spirit it was intended, Funk! :D   It would be interesting to do a little testing of how long it takes the smoker to cool from 225 to 140, so you could trigger the change, and account for the temp where the meat is still cooking.  Like I said, I do it manually, by cooling the smoker quickly, but it would be nice to trigger a hold, and not overshoot the IT when you can't open the smoker.  Actually, I suppose if it cools below the IT of the meat, it wouldn't really be cooking more, so a 30-40° drop would likely be all you need.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #48 on: August 06, 2015, 12:42:48 AM »
...It would be interesting to do a little testing of how long it takes the smoker to cool from 225 to 140, so you could trigger the change, and account for the temp where the meat is still cooking....

Ask an ye shall receive.
The data the chart is from when the inlet hole was 7/16" and the drip hole at 3/8"
I've since enlarged the inlet hole to 5/8"
Adding a fan will increase airflow further.
More airflow means it heats up slower and cools down quicker.

From this chart, 225F to 140F = exactly 1 hour
Also, 225F to 195F is 15 minutes.  That's promising.
« Last Edit: August 06, 2015, 12:53:57 AM by FunkedOut »
Joe, in FL

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #49 on: August 14, 2015, 12:58:53 AM »
Enlarged the rear hole tonight to 7/8" so I could install a stainless 1/2" bulkhead.  This will solve the dripping issue that finally happened and give a way to pipe air in, attach a fan and install a valve as needed.

I found the bulkhead on eBay for $9 shipped from China.
It's got female NPT outside the smoker and straight 1/2" threads inside with a stainless washer and silicone gasket on either side of the smoker floor. A nut snugs it all down from the inside.

As is, there's a ~1/2" hole that won't drip. 
I have a few more pieces of stainless adapters and silicone hoses coming from China to get a fan piped in.
China is cheap and good enough, but not fast!
« Last Edit: August 14, 2015, 01:06:08 AM by FunkedOut »
Joe, in FL

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #50 on: August 26, 2015, 10:16:28 PM »
Finally got all the bits from China and a chance to put it together.
I got a 23cfm fan that has a 15mm port for the airflow.
I got a 1/2" NPT male to 15mm barb fitting in 304 stainless to match the bulkhead.
I got 15mm ID food grade silicone hose and hose clamps.
I had a 12V power supply laying around from an old router.
Put the whole thing together for less than $30.

23cfm is not a lot of air, you can barely feel it coming out of the exhaust port.
I don't think this will be enough for making jerky.
I do think this will make great BBQ.
Now to give it a run.
« Last Edit: August 26, 2015, 10:20:23 PM by FunkedOut »
Joe, in FL

DivotMaker

« Reply #51 on: August 27, 2015, 10:47:39 PM »
23cfm is not a lot of air, you can barely feel it coming out of the exhaust port.
I don't think this will be enough for making jerky.
I do think this will make great BBQ.

Yeah... As I've said before, I'm all in favor of experimentation and innovation, but this kind of appears like an exercise in futility.  Let us know if it really "improves" what most of us can already do in our SIs. 

If it's not enough air movement for jerky and such, what's the point?  I have smoked a ton of meat in my SIs, and have never felt like I needed more airflow, except for jerky.  Please, enlighten me!
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #52 on: August 28, 2015, 12:09:24 AM »
Futility?  Hardly.
I like BBQ.  I like it a certain way. 
When I bought this box, it didn't make BBQ that way.  It was too much like cooked in a slow cooker and not enough like cooked in a smoker.
The difference, airflow.  Good title for the thread.   ;)
Every step I have taken, has been in the right direction.  My results are moving towards my liking.

As far as jerky is concerned, if this fan is not enough, there are stronger fans.
Gotta start somewhere.  I asked the community and SI's president for the cfm rating on the jerky fan; did not get an answer.  So this is my first stab.

Divot, at times you come across as if you feel I'm either trying to convince you that you need to do this, or I'm knocking the design and it needs correction.
Neither of those are the case.  I am sharing my journey because I came here to seek info that I did not find.

If you're happy with the results you're getting, you'd be foolish to change anything.

Hope that lights your candle.

Joe, in FL

DivotMaker

« Reply #53 on: August 30, 2015, 01:49:43 PM »
Divot, at times you come across as if you feel I'm either trying to convince you that you need to do this, or I'm knocking the design and it needs correction.
Neither of those are the case.  I am sharing my journey because I came here to seek info that I did not find.

If you're happy with the results you're getting, you'd be foolish to change anything.

Hope that lights your candle.

Not the case, at all, Funk.  I am merely playing devil's advocate for not needing to turn our smokers into Frankensmoker for them to work "properly!"  I don't want inexperienced potential owners to think they need to do all kinds of mods to these smokers to make them work "right," that's all.  You, obviously, are on a quest to produce BBQ that fits your very unique definition of "good BBQ," and I wish you nothing but success in doing so.  It's your smoker, and your time and money, so have good luck pursuing your end results!

I will add that I totally disagree with your assessment that it makes BBQ like it was cooked in a slow cooker.  If you are getting that result, it's your prep, not the smoker.  If everyone got that impression from their BBQ, I don't think Steve would constantly remain sold-out of his smokers.  The fact is, when meat is prepared properly, you can produce some of the finest BBQ anyone will ever eat, out of a totally stock SI smoker.  I went head-to-head on pulled pork, against a guy with a $10,000 custom-built offset stick burner, and won hands-down.  Just food for thought...  I know you have a ton of BBQ experience, so don't take that as a knock.  It's just a different smoker, that demands different methods, that's all.

Tony from NW Arkansas

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #54 on: August 30, 2015, 03:27:10 PM »
Fair enough.  Points taken.
I've got to try some of your pork.
That must be one helluva paint job!   ;)
Joe, in FL

DivotMaker

« Reply #55 on: August 30, 2015, 03:32:06 PM »
Fair enough.  Points taken.
I've got to try some of your pork.
That must be one helluva paint job!   ;)

Thanks Funk!  Healthy discussion is great, and all opinions are welcomed here! 

The paint job came out great, but would look better with your wheels! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas

Big Red Home Smoker

« Reply #56 on: August 31, 2015, 09:36:05 AM »
Glad you guys kissed and made up!   :-*  Almost thought we'd need to call in a moderator!  Fun to watch comments play out in this forum as everyone is very loyal to their methods/techniques and sometimes the written word can so easily be taken out of context.  You guys ended up handling this like true gentlemen.
Terry from Omaha
Model #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #57 on: August 31, 2015, 10:51:36 PM »
Hehe, yeah, Terry! ;)   We've had some doozy "spirited" discussions, around here!  But, the cool thing about our forum is that no one gets personal!  Like you said, we all have methods/techniques that we are loyal to.  If you haven't noticed, I kind of like debating, and will defend my position with the veracity of a pit bull.  By the same token, I can be subject to change, given the right argument!  Convince me your position is more logical, and I'm all in! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas