Author Topic: Airflow  (Read 24066 times)

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
Re: Airflow
« Reply #15 on: June 25, 2015, 06:17:39 PM »
I'm back after some experimenting and have good news.
I drilled a small hole near he rear of the smoker, sized the same as the drain hole and airflow increased.
I'd say the rear 75% of the wood box burned, vs 40-50% before the hole.
I opened just the rear hole up some more, one step at a time on a step drill, cooking ribs at each size.  ;)
The bark got better and better each time, but the wood never burned on the front 25%.
I then used foil to cover the front face of the wood box, so no air could get in to cool the front of the wood box down.  That solved the uneven wood burning issue altogether.
After changing the controller to someone that reaches 275*F, I now have all of the wood box burning and chicken skin gets black and crispy in places. 
Best part was eating all the test pieces.  8)
Joe, in FL
Smoking It #3, Auber PID WSD-1500GPH, 23cfm of boost

Limey

« Reply #16 on: June 25, 2015, 08:11:51 PM »
Funked Out can you post details on the controller you found. Thanks.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #17 on: June 25, 2015, 09:36:44 PM »
Good news, Funk!  How about some pics of your successes?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Ohio1956

« Reply #18 on: June 25, 2015, 09:45:11 PM »
I would like to know about the controller also. I don't want to buy the auber just to increase the temp past 250.

Thanks;
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

DivotMaker

« Reply #19 on: June 25, 2015, 09:54:09 PM »
I would like to know about the controller also. I don't want to buy the auber just to increase the temp past 250.

Thanks;

Rod - don't buy the Auber just to increase temps!  That's not a good reason.  If you do have an Auber, you still have to bypass the stock controller to exceed 250.  The point of the Auber is tight control, and flexibility to program up to 6 separate steps in the cook, not crispy poultry skin!  If you like consistent box temps, within a degree or two, and want to set different temps during a smoke, automatically, then the Auber is the key!  It's certainly not mandatory for making great Q, but sure makes us BBQ nerds happy! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Ohio1956

« Reply #20 on: June 25, 2015, 10:08:43 PM »
Yes, I understood from reading the post concerning the auber. I like having the maverick. I am always doing something around the house or in the yard, I don't want to be locked down to the smoker.

After going over my past experience with my first smoker, I was able to smoke at 320 and I used a lot more wood. That's why I am going a little slower with the #3. I am hooked on this smoker and now I am ready to start smoking. I don't mind the temp swings, just the end result and so far it's been great. If I could go to 275 or 300 this would be perfect. Anyway thanks;
Rod from Columbus, Ohio
Smokin-It #3

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #21 on: June 25, 2015, 11:52:21 PM »
I took the controller from the MES (Masterbuilt) I had and used it on the SI3.
Nice set up.   It's a simple on-off controller, with built in timer and meat probe.
Joe, in FL

DivotMaker

« Reply #22 on: June 26, 2015, 10:50:10 PM »
Nice set up.   It's a simple on-off controller, with built in timer and meat probe.

Pictures, please! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

gmannel

« Reply #23 on: June 28, 2015, 09:57:51 PM »
Very intriguing! What was your final 2nd hole size? Are you still going to expand it to a valved bulkhead for adjustment?
George - Seguin, TX
Brinkman Trailmaster LE horizontal w/ many mods
6/2015 - SI #3, ET-732 w/ extra meat probe, drain hole enlarged to 1/2"

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #24 on: June 29, 2015, 06:14:48 PM »
Very intriguing! What was your final 2nd hole size? Are you still going to expand it to a valved bulkhead for adjustment?

I enlarged the front slightly to 3/8"
I ended up with 7/16" in the rear.

Actually, it's fine as is.  It will probably stay this way for a bit.
Next step would be to enlarge the rear hole enough to fit 3/4" pipe.
Then, I'd run a section of 3/4" pipe the full length of the element, and drill holes along the way to evenly distribute the airflow.
Finally, install a blower feeding the 3/4" pipe with the ability to control the CFM; original design to jerky with a pot or PWM control.  :o
Seems to me that blowing clean air in, is better than sucking the smokey air out.  That fan would probably get much dirtier quicker.
Joe, in FL

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #25 on: June 29, 2015, 06:27:59 PM »

Pictures, please! ;)

Sadly, this last smoke (probably the 10th or so), the MES controller died.  I was able to troubleshoot it down to the box that I installed down by the element, inside the SI3.  Probably got too hot and killed a voltage regulator.  120VAC is getting to that box, but DC voltage is not getting to the display up top.  The circuit board is covered in some white epoxy so I can't get to any points to measure.   :-\
I took some pictures of the decommissioning.
Looked great and worked great, until it didn't.

Almost got my mind made up on an auber.  Still planning out the install.  I'd rather have it all integrated if possible, rather than a separate box with wires attaching them.  I definitely want to keep the SSR cool.

Good news, Funk!  How about some pics of your successes?

Luckily, I managed to get a solid 4 hours out of it before it went belly up.
Here are some pics of the brisket.
First pic on the foil is at the 4 hour mark.
Second pic on the foil is after another 6-7 hours in the oven.
« Last Edit: June 29, 2015, 06:37:57 PM by FunkedOut »
Joe, in FL

DivotMaker

« Reply #26 on: June 29, 2015, 07:36:03 PM »
Good looking brisket!  Sorry to hear about the MES controller, but I guessed it was just a matter of time. :(
Tony from NW Arkansas

gmannel

« Reply #27 on: July 01, 2015, 08:17:40 AM »
What difference have you noticed so far with the enlarging of and adding another air hole? Does the rear hole also act as a drain hole? I don't think the drip pan goes back that far on the 3. Just didn't want to find a mess of drippings on the porch. If so, then the orig bulkhead plan would solve that prob as well as giving you the adjustment option. Also, I wonder if the increased available air would make the A-Maze-N AMNPS functional as I understand it did not work well w this very tight box.
George - Seguin, TX

FunkedOut

• SI3 Pro Modified
« Reply #28 on: July 02, 2015, 05:52:51 PM »
difference is better bark.  less of a steamed meat end product and more of a smoked meat end product.
don't get me wrong, its still super moist and fills a water pan rather than dry it out.
also, the box cools off more with the increased airflow, so the element turns on more often and longer, leading to better burning of the wood.

future plans of a bigger hole and fan so i can get to where a water pan is needed would be nice.
of course having the option of closing the valve on the bigger hole and not using the fan to keep the original configuration is part of the plan.

the bulkhead idea was intended to solve the dripping problem.
however, the rear hole never dripped.  I do line the bottom with foil and use a pen to poke a hole (two now) in the foil.  never have had a drop come out of the rear hole; bottom (exterior) of the smoker is just as it shipped.  the front hole has stains from the drippings around it.
Joe, in FL

gmannel

« Reply #29 on: July 03, 2015, 04:50:45 PM »
It seems if the box is level front to back then you would get drippings from both holes - as the "ditch" runs the full length - maybe if a rear hole w/o a bulkhead is desired then screw the rear casters up a bit to tip it towards front hole. Or put 2nd hole far enough forward to utilize drip pan.
My front hole was already 3/8 as the bit just slid through, so I enlarged to 1/2. Only one hole though.
George - Seguin, TX