Author Topic: Smokin-It 4 Warning  (Read 19365 times)

scotsys

Smokin-It 4 Warning
« on: July 27, 2013, 05:47:34 PM »
Does anybody know why the manual emphasizes "DO NOT PREHEAT YOUR SMOKER"?

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Smokin-It 4 Warning
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2013, 06:10:11 PM »
Hmm, I don't recall that warning when I got my smoker but I was probably overcome with the irrational compulsion to season and smoke as soon as I got the packing material off. 

I do know that a big reason not to preheat is to allow the meat more time to come up to temp and get a full dose of smoke under controlled conditions; if you open it once it hits 225 you'll lose the accumulated smoke and with the small amount of wood we use in these systems that would be difficult (if not impossible) to replace.  I'd drop an email to Steve to confirm the reason for this ... it's an interesting caution in a manual, that's for sure.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: July 27, 2013, 06:25:00 PM »
It is not so much a warning as it more of a "not necessary". The same holds true with other similar smokers.   But there are a couple of considerations:

1.  Pre-heating would require one to handle the woodbox when hot and that could cause a burn.

2. Opening the door to place the food in the oven as well as place the wood in the box would release most of the heat, thereby negating the purpose of pre-heating.

Hope that helps.

David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

scotsys

« Reply #3 on: July 27, 2013, 07:46:01 PM »
Sarge, this heating element is so powerful, I left the door open for almost a minute to take the picture and add a little more hickory, and the red light went off maybe 2 minutes after that. The quote from the little flyer that came with it says:

"DO NOT pre-heat your smoker. DO NOT leave your smoker unattended."

Maybe it is only precautionary, but most of the things I have read tell you not to put the meat in until the smoker has come up to the desired temperature. Since I followed the instructions and ran it for 4 hours to season it, it just seems strange. 

smokeasaurus

« Reply #4 on: July 27, 2013, 08:17:09 PM »
With this type of smoker you want to take your meat from the fridge straight to the smoker, then turn it on.

With the cold meat in the smoker, the element will stay on longer to get your wood smoldering...........

Spence

« Reply #5 on: July 27, 2013, 10:30:00 PM »
Excellent point Smokeasaurus.
Alabama Chain Smoker

scotsys

« Reply #6 on: July 27, 2013, 10:33:35 PM »
That explains it. Logical reasoning. Thanks, smokeasaurus.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2013, 08:58:48 AM »
The other reason to start with cold meat is length of time for smoke exposure.  Since meat is going to stop absorbing smoke around 140-degrees, starting out colder to start helps.  I usually show internal temp of 35 when I put mine on from the fridge, so that gives me however long it takes to climb 105-degrees of smoke penetration.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #8 on: December 14, 2014, 10:17:02 AM »
For those that like a smoke ring, I'd think waiting for the smoke to roll before putting in the cold meat would be the way to go. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #9 on: December 14, 2014, 11:33:05 AM »
For those that like a smoke ring, I'd think waiting for the smoke to roll before putting in the cold meat would be the way to go.

Sorry, Dave - you won't ever get a smoke ring out of an electric smoker, by way of smoke only.  You can get a "faux" ring by adding a little pink curing salt to a brine, but that's it.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

Walt

« Reply #10 on: December 14, 2014, 12:23:59 PM »
The temperature doesn't get hot enough to cause the chemical reaction that causes the smoke ring.  Smoldering wood wont do it! The good news is that, the ring adds nothing to flavor but is visually reproduceable via intacure#1.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #11 on: December 14, 2014, 12:36:27 PM »
Which raises a whole other question on why these top end units have temperature limiters on them?  It is why I'm fighting myself on choosing an electric. 

DivotMaker

« Reply #12 on: December 14, 2014, 01:11:50 PM »
Dave, the vast majority of meat you'll smoke in these smokers is low and slow (under 250).  If you want to exceed 250, you can add the Auber PID and bypass the stock controller.  Leave the high-temp cooks for the grill or charcoal/stick burner.  The low, slow, moisture-controlled environment of the SI is absolutely perfect for producing some really stellar Q!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #13 on: December 14, 2014, 01:23:05 PM »
If I recall, the 4 comes with a PID, so that limitation doesn't apply.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #14 on: December 14, 2014, 01:30:02 PM »
Divot, I hear what you are saying but for the price, it seems like the smoker should give us the option to smoke at whatever temp we prefer.  The Auber is a "work around" to a system that could easily be as flexible as a Traeger and capable of temps to 350 plus.  Don't mind me though, it's just a head scratcher in my world.