Author Topic: "Your order has shipped"  (Read 4217 times)

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
"Your order has shipped"
« on: December 16, 2014, 09:31:40 AM »
Now that's a nice e-mail to wake up to this morning.  My model 4 is in transit.  It will be fitting that the first smoke will be a prime rib roast for a prime piece of equipment.  I called yesterday to inquire about my order and asked for the permanent Auber probe.  I stopped by the hardware store on my way home last night to get some parts for the by-pass when the unit arrives.  However, I'm contemplating doing my first smoke without the Auber and just using the onboard controls for simplicity. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: "Your order has shipped"
« Reply #1 on: December 16, 2014, 09:50:24 AM »
Congrats Dave!
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

PhatterMike

« Reply #2 on: December 16, 2014, 03:56:35 PM »
Dave, I got a #4 a couple of months ago, did the same thing... Do yourself a favor, Use the Auber.... I would have never guessed that having that much control would be so valuable...  My temps were all over the place without it, I have NOT done the bypass yet but more than likely will at sometime... Good luck with your big daddy, I'm really starting tp love mine.

Mike
Mike from Palm Beach Gardens, FL

2-Large BGE's, 1- XL BGE, 1-Mini BGE, Weber Genesis 1100 & Now (as of 10-8-2014), I am proud to say.... 1 Smokin~It Model #4

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2014, 04:06:15 PM »
The temps will fluctuate, but they should average out to what you have the dial set at. The same thing happens on my #3 and I don't have any immediate plans to get an Auber as I don't think the fluctuations have much if any affect on the final product.

Where the Auber really shines is on the programmability that is available. For example, if you want a stepped smoking plan like smoking at 150 for an hour and then bumping the temp to 225 and cooking to internal temp of 195. This really gets you into lazyQ.

It is a great thing to have in the arsenal, but not necessary to put out good food.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #4 on: December 17, 2014, 05:57:40 PM »
Being that my unit will likely arrive just days before a Christmas smoke, I don't want to hassle with learning codes and auto tuning in the heat of battle.  Once I get through the big day, I'll start taking it apart and drilling holes in it.  LOL!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: December 17, 2014, 10:57:56 PM »
Cool, Dave!  Congrats again!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #6 on: December 22, 2014, 10:20:50 PM »
Update:
Still no smoker, arrrg! Unit has been stuck at a shipping center. After calling today, they have it rolling again and I hope to get it late tomorrow. There won't be a lot of play time before it has to produce.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: December 22, 2014, 10:56:42 PM »
Welcome to pre-Christmas shipping woes!  Got my fingers crossed for you!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!