Author Topic: Model 2D Meat probe temperature unstable.  (Read 1872 times)

scubahubby

Model 2D Meat probe temperature unstable.
« on: July 27, 2018, 07:43:18 PM »
Hi all,

Two weeks ago the temperature displayed on my 2D for the meat probe became unstable.  I used a thermapen to check the actual temperature and what was showing on the display would bounce around randomly between 15 degrees less than actual and 10 degrees more.  Last weekend it got worse and is basically useless.  Still got some great Q but had to open it up a few times and check with the thermapen.

I am assuming (since the box probe temperature is rock solid) I need a new probe.  But asking here first?  Is that what it looks like when the probe needs replacing or is this a known failure mode with the controller?
Ozzy from SF Bay Area
SI-2D, 3xAnova SousVide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Model 2D Meat probe temperature unstable.
« Reply #1 on: July 27, 2018, 10:14:11 PM »
Ozzy - It could be a number of things. The probes whether the old style or the newer style are sensitive to water. Cleaning the probe could have allowed water to enter. If that is the case, try drying it out with a hair dryer.  It that does not work, you may need a new probe. Check the controller where the jack is.  If loose, tighten it. If you take the controller off, to check for a loose wire, do so carefully. The controller (and probes) carry a 1 year warranty. Send Steve an email describing your problem.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus