Author Topic: Auto Tuning - Group Results  (Read 67836 times)

mcinore

Re: Auto Tuning - Group Results
« Reply #60 on: February 18, 2015, 08:25:13 AM »
Autotune numbers from last night.
SI 4
Outside temp 55
P-42
I-914
D-228
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks

LongBall

« Reply #61 on: February 20, 2015, 08:48:52 PM »
Auto Tune today SI3 about 65-70* @ Sea Level So Cal. Non-ByPass. Pan of water and two large bricks.Now that I think I understand this I will do bypass tomorrow. Probe was mounted.

P49
I660
D165

Not sure why I was having such a hard time understanding this but I had to read this stuff about 5x before an understanding finaly set in.

DivotMaker

Thanks for the cook settings that you use. This will be my second go at a Butt Tomorrow I used your brine as well. We like the rub below for pork.

6 tsp corn starch
6 tsp salt
6 Tbsp coarse ground pepper
1 1/2 tsp ground oregano
1 1/2 tsp lemon pepper
12 tsp garlic power
12 tsp onion power
3 tsp smoked paprika
3 tsp beef stock base - granulated
« Last Edit: February 21, 2015, 10:07:07 PM by LongBall »
SI3 Auber WSD-1500 Probe installed

Bart

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #62 on: February 20, 2015, 09:53:46 PM »
Interesting looking rub there, Bart!  Glad to hear you're having success.  Thanks for the "nod" on the brine! :D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

LongBall

« Reply #63 on: February 21, 2015, 11:57:30 PM »
After bypass 60* water pan two large bricks and of course the foil

P49
I595
D148
SI3 Auber WSD-1500 Probe installed

Bart

jbauch357

« Reply #64 on: February 26, 2015, 10:32:30 PM »
SI #2 with stock controller bypass and permanent temp probe 2" from the top dead center.  Ambient temp was 50-60 degrees during the two runs.  For both of these runs I also did use chips, I figured there isn't any use auto tuning if the heat from the chips isn't part of the equation.

Run 1 (couple beer cans with water in them, and 3 big wet rocks from yard):
P - 53
I - 893
D - 223

Run 2 (couple beer cans with water in them, two big pans full of water and wrapped in foil):
P - 61
I - 898
D - 224

OK, I couldn't take the fluctuations and slow response time.  After another hour of pondering my results as well as digging into the manual, I made some changed to the PID.

Here is what I'm running with now, we'll see what happens.
P - 50
I - 750
D - 150
« Last Edit: February 26, 2015, 11:44:00 PM by jbauch357 »
Josh - Western Washington (hell)

DivotMaker

« Reply #65 on: February 27, 2015, 07:32:54 PM »
Josh,

I believe Run 1 would have yielded the most accurate results.  Your water pans, covered in foil, would have given off a lot of reflective heat, instead of absorbing it (like meat).  Did you run a regular program, after the Run 1 autotune, to test the accuracy?  Not sure why you would change the contents and re-run without a test.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

coachB

« Reply #66 on: February 27, 2015, 08:38:43 PM »
OK, after a lengthy delay I was finally prepared (I think) to do the autotune.   I did the bypass, did the rocker switch install, completed the permanent auber probe install, and seasoned the #3 that has been sitting in my LR since mid-Jan. I don't know if the programming was done correctly.  My reading skills are not what they once were, because after reading the directions and setting the autotune I realized after 2 hrs at 114 something was not right.  I sat down and reread the directions and came to the conclusion I had neglected to program the PID CO1-CO6 steps BEFORE starting the autotune.  Back to square one.  Entered the numbers according to the directions and tried again.  Checked after 2.5 hrs. and the autotune had completed.  The numbers, compiled with an outside temp of 40 degrees, was as listed below:
                    P  =  80
                    I   =  945
                    D  =  236

How do these numbers seem, Tony?  I am hoping they are not totally out of whack.

I have been visiting this site daily, at least, but didn't have anything to contribute until I got my SI3 ready to go.  I have been pulling recipes, rubs, brines, toys, ad infinitum from this site and smf in preparation.  It is a b...h when you become obsessive compulsive about something.  I will fill you all in on the process and pickups in other appropriate sections of the forum.  I haven't anticipated anything this much since HS sophomore prom night.  (Hope I am luckier this time around.)
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

DivotMaker

« Reply #67 on: February 27, 2015, 09:09:50 PM »
Numbers look right in line to me, Bill!  Yeah, I missed that program thing, too, the first time I tried an autotune!  Not many instructions, back then, and that's why I've tried to help others with it!

Good to see you with us again! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas

coachB

« Reply #68 on: February 27, 2015, 10:10:21 PM »
Thanks for the comeback Tony.  I can sleep easy tonight knowing the auber is in line.  Now tomorrow it will be time to start the Canadian bacon and do up some ribs.  And actually, I never left.  I've been on the board daily, just didn't have anything to add so I kept my mouth shut.  I won't do much to build up a post count, but when I do post I tend to make it lengthy.  Oh well.
Bill from Myrtle Beach SC

DivotMaker

« Reply #69 on: February 27, 2015, 10:57:55 PM »
Any contributions are good, Coach - just so we know you're still with us!  It isn't about "post count," but more about a conversation, around here.  I like to think of our forum (different from most) as a conversation among friends.  That's what keeps it fun, and friendly! :D   Everyone's opinions and ideas matter!  You never know when the slightest comment, or opinion, will spark someone's creativity.
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #70 on: March 08, 2015, 01:18:06 PM »
Autotune numbers from last night.
SI 4
Outside temp 55
P-42
I-914
D-228
I ran a second auto tune on my #4 this morning and it varied a bit from my first auto tune.  Numbers from this morning.
P-42
I-855
D-213
Morning temperature was 51 degrees. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

mcinore

« Reply #71 on: March 09, 2015, 08:43:29 AM »
Looks pretty close to what I got. Did you have a pan of water added?
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #72 on: March 09, 2015, 10:27:12 AM »
I used an open pan of wet sand on a middle shelf and a small pan of water on the wood box. 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #73 on: March 09, 2015, 09:31:29 PM »
Hopefully it will hold temp on those small "one rack of rib" smokes, Dave!
Tony from NW Arkansas

mcinore

« Reply #74 on: March 09, 2015, 10:00:29 PM »
I've done single ribs and even a small tri tip roast this weekend and never had more than a couple of degrees fluctuation. Thinking your new PID numbers should correct it.
Mike from Oregon
Smokin-it #4
Go Ducks