Author Topic: Auto Tuning - Group Results  (Read 67798 times)

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Auto Tuning - Group Results
« Reply #45 on: December 31, 2014, 09:55:37 PM »
That may be the difference too, Walt.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #46 on: January 02, 2015, 08:37:32 PM »
Would auto tuning be a seasonal thing?
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #47 on: January 04, 2015, 04:26:26 PM »
Would auto tuning be a seasonal thing?

I don't think so.  I haven't seen any difference in different temps.
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #48 on: January 04, 2015, 05:14:48 PM »
Okay, auto tune took right at 2 hours for the "AT" to stop flashing.  CO1 was the only temp achieved and maintained even though the set time was only the .5 hour prescribed by the instructions.

After finishing the auto tune, numbers on my model 4 were as follows at an outside air temp of 50 degrees:
P-49
I-823
D-205

DivotMaker

« Reply #49 on: January 05, 2015, 09:28:31 PM »
How was your program set, Dave? 
Tony from NW Arkansas

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #50 on: January 05, 2015, 09:36:07 PM »
Not sure I understand the question.  CO1, CO2 & CO3 were per the Smokin-It instructions.  And like Msmith, the Auber temp readings never reflected the autotune program.  But after the AT was complete, it seems to perform as directed under regular use. 

Walt

« Reply #51 on: January 06, 2015, 01:12:47 AM »
Tested the Bypassed setup yesterday with a brined chicken.  Started flashing AT as soon as I started it up.  I let it go for a couple hours until done (again)  Same PID readings.  Manually turned it off useing the 166 code after complete.  Expected it would revert back without having to manually do it.  Was trying to cook @ 325 but only got to 290 before the meat hit 165 because of the AT delay hovering around 140 from the recommended program.  Best chicken yet, skin was easily edible but not completely crispy.   Meat was very moist.  I'll get it crispy next time.  I think i, now,  have the tools to accomplish this.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #52 on: January 07, 2015, 07:59:42 PM »
Not sure I understand the question.  CO1, CO2 & CO3 were per the Smokin-It instructions.  And like Msmith, the Auber temp readings never reflected the autotune program.  But after the AT was complete, it seems to perform as directed under regular use.

You understood perfectly, Dave, and answered it. ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

DivotMaker

« Reply #53 on: January 07, 2015, 08:03:15 PM »
Tested the Bypassed setup yesterday with a brined chicken.  Started flashing AT as soon as I started it up.  I let it go for a couple hours until done (again)  Same PID readings.  Manually turned it off useing the 166 code after complete.  Expected it would revert back without having to manually do it.  Was trying to cook @ 325 but only got to 290 before the meat hit 165 because of the AT delay hovering around 140 from the recommended program.  Best chicken yet, skin was easily edible but not completely crispy.   Meat was very moist.  I'll get it crispy next time.  I think i, now,  have the tools to accomplish this.

The issue of having to manually turn off the autotune is apparently a known issue with some of the earlier-made 1200G series PIDs.  I've been told you can contact Auber for a fix to this (not sure how that works, though). 

One thing you might want to do is perform an autotune with some bricks or sand as a heat sink, rather than meat, due to what you were talking about.  The AT program can be a little weird, and it works more stress-free if meat is not on the line!
Tony from NW Arkansas

Walt

« Reply #54 on: January 07, 2015, 08:08:43 PM »
My 1st autotune was with bricks & I finished with the exact same PID numbers.  I didn't expect that.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

DivotMaker

« Reply #55 on: January 07, 2015, 09:22:41 PM »
My 1st autotune was with bricks & I finished with the exact same PID numbers.  I didn't expect that.

Cool. 8)   I missed that...
Tony from NW Arkansas

Limey

« Reply #56 on: January 11, 2015, 08:02:34 PM »
Just finished an auto tune with the following results;
P=87 I=153 D=288. Ambient was 78 degrees. Load was a large(19"x3"x3") filled water pan and three coral blocks that approximated the weight of three bricks.
Are we still pursuing this effort to collect data? If so then we need lots more participants and probably a standard testing protocol as previously suggested.
Roger from the Florida Keys.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

DivotMaker

« Reply #57 on: January 11, 2015, 08:12:16 PM »
Are we still pursuing this effort to collect data? If so then we need lots more participants and probably a standard testing protocol as previously suggested.

We're just taking them as they come, Roger.  We're not that formal around here - just collecting results for comparison purposes, I guess! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas

Limey

« Reply #58 on: January 11, 2015, 08:44:08 PM »
OK Tony, duly noted! I'm concerned that my I value seems out of line. Will smoke a chicken tomorrow and see how it does.
Two SI#3s, both with switched bypass and Aubers(different locations), Viking, Jenn Aire & five TEC infra red grills. Recently acquired UDS.

Limey

« Reply #59 on: January 18, 2015, 06:21:37 PM »
The smoked chicken was the best I have ever done. I guess my auto-tune numbers are ok for my unit.