Author Topic: smoked shrimp  (Read 24243 times)

pargolfr2003

smoked shrimp
« on: May 09, 2015, 06:43:01 PM »
This was killer! First try with seafood in the SI2.
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle
LOTS of cold beer and/or wine

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: smoked shrimp
« Reply #1 on: May 09, 2015, 08:30:05 PM »
This was killer! First try with seafood in the SI2.

Tim,

Looks fantastic, please post your process.....

Greg

pargolfr2003

« Reply #2 on: May 09, 2015, 09:05:55 PM »
Sure thing Greg.  About 6 ounces Italian dressing, half stick melted butter, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp cajun seasoning, 2 lb shrimp unpeeled. Toss the shrimp in the marinade to coat then pour in aluminum pan and smoke at 225  for 1 hour.  Also threw out some warm french bread with herbed olive oil for dipping. Wife had white wine but of course I just had a beer (Fat Tire was todays feature). Not a bad spread. 
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #3 on: May 09, 2015, 09:55:19 PM »
Just printed this one, looks and sounds great.

Shrimp don't need a lot, easy it sounds.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

Barrel99

« Reply #4 on: May 10, 2015, 12:30:45 AM »
I like the idea of smoking the marinade with the shrimp. That way the sauce is smoky as well. I will have to try it. Thanks.
Arnie near Fort Lauderdale, Florida

Smokin-It #3, Landmann GSM Propane smoker, WEBER kettle, CharGrill Gas BBQ, Brinkman Gas/charcoal combo grill

1-is fun, 2-gets you through, 3-will set you free, 4-and you don't need no more...WAHOOOOOO!!!

pargolfr2003

« Reply #5 on: May 10, 2015, 06:57:17 AM »
Yeah guys give this a try and you won't be sorry.  Obviously you can tweak the spices to however you want. Personally, I would prefer them a little spicier but if I put in more Cajun seasoning the wife and daughter wouldn't eat it, so of course I had to scale it back. You know the deal. Anyway, very tasty and the marinade really soaks up the smokey flavor. Just be careful with your cook time. I did this on my previous smoker and left them in too long and the shrimp got a little mushy. Perfect this time though.  Pairs perfectly with an ice cold beer.
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: May 10, 2015, 08:09:31 AM »
Sure thing Greg.  About 6 ounces Italian dressing, half stick melted butter, 1 tsp garlic powder, 1 tsp black pepper, 1 tbsp cajun seasoning, 2 lb shrimp unpeeled. Toss the shrimp in the marinade to coat then pour in aluminum pan and smoke at 225  for 1 hour.  Also threw out some warm french bread with herbed olive oil for dipping. Wife had white wine but of course I just had a beer (Fat Tire was todays feature). Not a bad spread.

Hey Tim,

Your recipe sounds excellent I plan to pick up some fresh shrimp and give it a go!

Thanks Greg

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #7 on: May 10, 2015, 08:10:07 AM »

Tim,

Forgot to ask what wood and amount did you use?

Greg

pargolfr2003

« Reply #8 on: May 10, 2015, 08:45:45 AM »
Greg I used hickory because that's what I happened to have on hand which reminds me i need to re-stock my wood inventory. I used about 1.5 ounces. Also I did put out some cocktail sauce but really didn't need it so I'll skip that next time. Let me know how yours turns out.
Tim D
Fayetteville, NC
My Tool Kit:
Smokin It #2
Weber Kettle

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #9 on: May 10, 2015, 02:53:32 PM »
Greg I used hickory because that's what I happened to have on hand which reminds me i need to re-stock my wood inventory. I used about 1.5 ounces. Also I did put out some cocktail sauce but really didn't need it so I'll skip that next time. Let me know how yours turns out.

This sounds great, the only thing I think I will change is using minced garlic...

Other than that it sounds great and I like the idea of serving it with bread. I might add some additional butter so you can dip the bread?

Thanks Greg

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #10 on: May 11, 2015, 08:28:04 AM »
Looks great!  This recipe may find its way to my SI #2 this evening!   :o
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Trip

« Reply #11 on: May 13, 2015, 06:34:42 PM »
Definitely doing this with my BBQ shrimp recipe

1stlink

« Reply #12 on: May 14, 2015, 10:32:53 AM »
Sounds near perfect, just need to sneak some "Old Bay Seasoning" into the mix..  ;)

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
Re: smoked shrimp +1
« Reply #13 on: May 15, 2015, 07:50:09 PM »
Good recipe and worked well.  I used old bay instead of cajun with chunk garlic not the powder.   

Slight smoke taste on shrimp.  Wish there would have been more?

I did 1 hour 15 mins, no knowing ramp up.   Sugar mesquite under 2oz wood.

This was 2 lbs of frozen gulf with shell shrimp, $21

Cold cocktails tomorrow!

Again, good recipe, lots or variables or extras that one can add to their liking.

Right is portabelos caps with balsamic and evoo and cut up sting cheese (4 yr old son likes it).  Looks like hot dogs!

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #14 on: May 16, 2015, 07:34:56 AM »
Can't wait to try the shrimp this evening...doing smoked steaks with reverse sear on the grill and smoked shrimp for dinner!    :P
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2