Author Topic: Grapevine  (Read 6877 times)

Etex

Grapevine
« on: September 15, 2013, 08:36:28 PM »
I just saw native grapevines for sale on a site.  It was recommended for fish and chicken.  Has anyone ever tired it.  I have some of it on my property and wondered about using it.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: Grapevine
« Reply #1 on: September 15, 2013, 09:43:23 PM »
I haven't used it but I've eaten the results at the Coppola winery in Napa ... smoked chicken was nice and it had a very mellow smoke to it.  I'd read up on the seasoning process for the vines before I'd put them in the smoker, however.
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

puddle jumper

« Reply #2 on: October 15, 2013, 07:31:03 PM »
I haven't used it but I've eaten the results at the Coppola winery in Napa ... smoked chicken was nice and it had a very mellow smoke to it.  I'd read up on the seasoning process for the vines before I'd put them in the smoker, however.

Joe ,,
 I would love to know more , I have a bunch of OLD muskdime "SP" vines I could use..
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

Etex

« Reply #3 on: October 15, 2013, 08:16:36 PM »
Puddle Jumper -  I looked around after Joe's post.  Haven't tried it yet.  Here are some of the things I found.  Positive and Negative.

I have used grape vine too. The first time it was like I just used oak. But I tried it with unseasoned grape vine and is was great. You have to get it while it's still pretty fresh as it seems to loose any flavoring as it gets old. It also took a lot of it to get the flavor. I don't know if I would compare it to wine, but it was very good and I will do it again.

My brother in law has done some cornish hens withe the grape vines and it was pretty good. I still like hickory better

I did 2 6 lb chickens with the grape I bought from The Smoking Meat Store and I was very disappointed. The meat was juicy but very bland on the smoke, like it wasnt even there :( I used the whole bag over the 3.5 hours I smoked the chickens so I was kinda ticked off...lol. I think I will stick with my usual cherry or apple mixed with oak or hickory any combo of those works great for me :D

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: October 15, 2013, 08:28:44 PM »
Good info, Tex!  It seems like a lot of folks, in the smoking community, are always looking for the "Nirvana" of wood, when some of the proven "standards" are just what those that eat our Q know - and expect!  I don't look farther than hickory, mesquite, oak, cherry, apple and peach 99.9% of the time.  Maybe I'm limiting my horizons, but I've found people enjoy "familiarity" more than "adventure" when it comes to smoke flavor!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Etex

« Reply #5 on: October 15, 2013, 08:49:31 PM »
I am pretty much tried and true basic stuff myself.  I initially saw where someone had asked grapevine on another site and got no response.  I have quite a bit of wild grapes in my woods and thought someone on here might have tried it.  I sure would hate to waste a good piece of meat on an experiment.  Seems like it might work if it is not too dried out.  Think I will cut some this winter when the sap is down and let it dry for a short period of time and since I now know it will not ruin anything have a try at it.

puddle jumper

« Reply #6 on: October 16, 2013, 12:41:42 PM »
Thanks for the info...
Im always looking to try new things, you never know when you are going to hit the new BBQ Nirvana...
PJ
John from North Georgia
Smokin It #2 owner

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: October 16, 2013, 02:13:56 PM »
LoL...yep, nothing wrong with looking for Nirvana, PJ! ;D
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!