Author Topic: has anyone ever foiled a dry wood chunk  (Read 7837 times)

BIG BOB

has anyone ever foiled a dry wood chunk
« on: September 13, 2013, 09:26:26 AM »
i assume I just put the 2-3oz of WESTERN BRAND APPLE CHUNKS in a foil "pouch" with holes in the top to let the smoke release. Will the chunk of apple smoke in the foil?     :-\
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Re: has anyone ever foiled a dry wood chunk
« Reply #1 on: September 13, 2013, 04:05:11 PM »
Here's a handy link on making a pouch:  http://www.bbqgeeks.com/general/making-a-wood-chip-foil-pack-to-add-smoke-flavor/

Remember, you want some air flow so your perforations should be about the size of a BB.  Perforations aren't necessary but I do believe you'll need a bit of air movement in the closed environment of the Smokin-It compared to a grill ...
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

BIG BOB

« Reply #2 on: September 13, 2013, 08:48:46 PM »
tHANKS jOE... I REALLY WANT TO TRY MY SPARES WITH APPLE.... its that Western Brand chunks that look dry. I hope this foil works. my boys are lobbying for hickory though?!!!!
B-EE-RR-UN BEERRUN!

Bob from New Castle, IN.

UWFSAE

« Reply #3 on: September 13, 2013, 10:39:31 PM »
If you've got multiple preferences I think you should do a 50/50 blend of apple and hickory.  It mutes the potential bitterness of hickory and provides amazing color from the apple wood.
Joe from Houston, TX

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: September 15, 2013, 05:04:27 PM »
Hey Bob, I usually do spares with a mix of hickory/apple or hickory/peach, and love them!  As far as the dry chunks, you might try putting them in a sealed plastic container with a wet rag in the bottom for a few days.  They don't need to be on the wet cloth, just in the same container.  Wood will absorb moisture pretty quick if it's that dry.  Soaking them for an hour or so is another option, just let them dry a bit before putting in the smoker.  Wood in these don't have to be as moist as required on a stick burner.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Etex

« Reply #5 on: September 15, 2013, 07:35:42 PM »
O.K. Advice for the electric newbie.  Why are the chunks being wrapped instead of placing in the box as is?  Does it slow the degeneration of the wood and provide more smoke to make a difference?  If it is the dryness of the wood, then would not all wood that is not green benefit from it?  So far the only bitterness that has to be muted here is when I tell them the meat will be ready by a certain time and it is not!

UWFSAE

« Reply #6 on: September 15, 2013, 07:41:19 PM »
You don't need to wrap chunks (in my experience) unless they are exceptionally dry.  Woods ordered from Fruitiawoods or Maine Grilling are properly seasoned and retain good moisture; the wood from big box stores is often held in poor conditions and may well be on the shelf longer than is prudent.

Dry wood may combust at lower temperatures and produce acrid smoke; as such, if you've got wood you need to use or don't have access to fresher stuff then this provides a means to retard that combustion (reduction in air flow) and keep a gentle smoke going.
Joe from Houston, TX

Etex

« Reply #7 on: September 15, 2013, 07:46:56 PM »
Thanks Joe.

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #8 on: July 07, 2014, 12:20:14 PM »
I talked to Steve when I bought my SI about wood. He recommended a 30 minute soak for chips, or wood that has the possibility of being dry. I don't soak a SI block but if I cut a chunk off of a branch from my sugar maple tree I have saved I will soak it.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud