Author Topic: Spareribs using Jack Daniel's Whiskey Barrel Oak Smoking Blocks  (Read 2979 times)

UWFSAE

• Smoker, Griller, & International Man of Mystery
Spareribs using Jack Daniel's Whiskey Barrel Oak Smoking Blocks
« on: December 31, 2013, 08:53:13 PM »
Sorry I've been a ghost for the past few months but I've been traveling like a madman this semester and have only had time for 'Q from local joints throughout Texas, Arkansas, Louisiana, and Mississippi.

With the Christmas break winding down, I decided to dust off the Smokin-It #3 ... but found myself completely out of suitable smoking woods.  Since I had to run to Academy Sports for some last minute Christmas shopping I threw caution to the wind and bought a bag of Jack Daniel's Whiskey Barrel Oak Smoking Blocks (they were out of all other smoking woods except mesquite) for two standing rib roasts I was smoking for Christmas Eve.  I'll create a post for that little experiment later ...

Yesterday, I prepped a whole slab of pork spares with a light butchering (fat trimmed and silver skin removed), slathered with good molasses and liberally coated with a homemade spicy rib rub.  Into the fridge for 18 hours and they went in the Smokin-It #3 at noon on the dot with a 4 oz. Jack Daniel's oak block at 225 with ambient outdoor temps in Houston being in the low 50's today.  No water pan, no 3-2-1 ... and they came out perfectly after 5.75 hours.  Juicy without any muss or fuss, plenty of bite with a pleasant, firm chew.  The ribs were served with a little Foy's Mild BBQ Sauce (made by Dobbs Foods from Columbus, GA since the 1930's) on the side and some ranch style beans.  A nice send off to 2013, to be honest.

The Jack Daniel's Smoking Blocks do have a pleasant "Old No. 7" aroma to them and are perfectly seasoned.  Their cut size is absolutely perfect for the Smokin-It case-style smokers (and Smokin' Tex or Cookshacks, I'll wager) and burns steadily with no flareups.  The oak flavor is rich, a more mellow flavor than hickory and there's no real whiskey aftertaste ... but I admire their marketing.  While I wouldn't necessarily replace woods from Maine Grilling Woods or Fruitawood with this product, it's an accessible and inexpensive choice for oak chunks pre-cut to the perfect size with very solid results.   
« Last Edit: December 31, 2013, 08:56:22 PM by UWFSAE »
Joe from Houston, TX
Proud owner of a Smokin-It #3!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
Re: Spareribs using Jack Daniel's Whiskey Barrel Oak Smoking Blocks
« Reply #1 on: December 31, 2013, 09:58:45 PM »
Hey Joe, great to see you back!!  Been kind of lonesome around these parts without your great recipes!  Those ribs look great (as usual!).  I've been thinking of trying the JD chunks, but was worried about it being too dry.  Glad to hear they worked out well...I'll get a bag.  I really like oak on beef (makes me think of those Santa Maria tri-tips I had years ago)!

Hope you visit us a lot!

~T~
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2013, 11:27:22 PM »
By the way - when you were in south Arkansas, did you hit Stubb's?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

benjammn

• Just smoke it!
    • Kale's Collision
« Reply #3 on: January 02, 2014, 02:00:40 AM »
wow sounds great! I will have to try those out, saw them in the store but was a bit hesitant to give them a shot.
Ben in Chandler, AZ
Proud owner of #2