Author Topic: Smoking a loin and a butt together...??  (Read 1463 times)

TigerTownBBQ

Smoking a loin and a butt together...??
« on: December 30, 2019, 05:11:02 PM »
I want to start by following up on a question I had about a year ago in regards to smoking a tenderloin in sauerkraut. It was absolutely AMAZING!!! The sauerkraut and the loin were the best I have had and was a huge hit!!!

This year I am smoking a tenderloin but also want to smoke a butt as well for pulled pork. Can I do them all at once and just pull the loins when they are done and leave the butt go? Also, what temps should I pull at?

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Smoking a loin and a butt together...??
« Reply #1 on: December 30, 2019, 07:29:46 PM »
The tenderloin will finish far sooner than the butt and should be pulled at no greater than 155° internal temperature.  I'd be tempted to pull it even sooner, particularly if I were planning to add it to another dish, reheat it, or otherwise further cook it in some manner.  The National Pork Board says it's safe at 145°.  The butt you can pull at 195° and it should be excellent.  Both the loin and the butt can be smoked reliably at 255°.

The only 'problems' might be that the loin may be overly smoky depending on how much wood you're using for the butt.  Likewise, if you only use a little wood, when you open the door to pull the loin you're going to lose heat and smoke so that butt might take longer and not be quite as smoky as planned.  I'm sure you can find a balance, though.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

TigerTownBBQ

« Reply #2 on: December 31, 2019, 05:00:13 PM »
What would you recommend for the wood issue? Add more when I pull the loins?

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 11, 2020, 12:36:10 PM »
If I were smoking tenderloins I would pull them at 140 and rest them covered. They will carry over to 145'ish.

You should not add more wood when You pull the loins.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud