Author Topic: Double Smoked Ham  (Read 1544 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Double Smoked Ham
« on: December 15, 2019, 12:31:12 PM »
It's a Christmas ham this year and I'm going to give it a bit more smoke.  I've had really good luck using a Weber kettle on low heat with a bit of extra wood for flavor.  I use a two stage fire and match the wood to the original, apple in this case.  My ham is fairly straight forward. It's boneless, 5.5 pounds, and low sodium.  My plan is to set my model 1 at 225 to a IT of 130, glaze it at 120, take it out and wrap it.  The IT should come up to about 140 during the rest. 

Any ideas or experiences?

prudentsmoker

Re: Double Smoked Ham
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2019, 04:03:57 PM »
As I have posted here before, I had tremendous success with a maple smoked ham that I then smoked in cherry. I too got it up to 140.
Brian from Wichita

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 15, 2019, 06:20:34 PM »
I do the hame much the same as you described each Thanksgiving.  Never a problem.  Always good eats.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

Grampy

« Reply #3 on: December 16, 2019, 07:56:24 AM »
This is the recipe that I have been using the last few years with excellent results.

1. Coat the outside of our ham with Honey Dijon mustard and then lightly dust your ham with brown sugar. (Don’t go to heavy here, you will come back and add another, heavier coating of brown sugar later.) This will create a “paste” on your ham.

2. Add a few chunks of wood to your smoker and smoke the ham for two (2) hours at 225 degrees. After 2 hours take it off the smoker and wrap in aluminum foil. Before you close the aluminum foil completely, you want to baste the ham with pineapple juice.

3. Once I have basted the ham with pineapple juice and wrapped it in aluminum foil, I place it back on the smoker and allow it to cook for another hour at 225 degrees.

4.   Unwrap the top of the ham, but keep it sitting in the foil to keep the juices from spilling. Now that the ham is exposed, sprinkle brown sugar over the entire outside again. Once your ham is covered in brown sugar, spray it really well with the pineapple juice. This will cause the brown sugar to dissolve and the heat from the smoker will create a delicious glaze. Place back on the smoker for another hour while you allow the sugar and the juice to create your glaze.

5.   At the four hour mark your ham is ready to come off of the smoker and loosely tent with foil while you allow it to rest for 20-30 minutes before carving.   
Jimmy from Arkadelphia, AR
Smokin-It #2
Woo Pig Sooie!