Author Topic: Smoked Garlic  (Read 2347 times)

Ken

• Model 2wifi
Smoked Garlic
« on: July 04, 2020, 11:48:26 PM »
I found this recipe online and it looked interesting.  I haven’t tasted it yet but it smells great.  Gave away three and kept one for myself.  I smoked with naturally dried cherry.  150 degrees for 2.5 hours.  Don’t use green garlic.  Store cooled garlic in a covered jar in the fridge.  Good for 6 weeks.
« Last Edit: July 04, 2020, 11:50:07 PM by Ken »

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Smoked Garlic
« Reply #1 on: July 05, 2020, 02:36:30 PM »
I like to cut the top off of them, drizzle them with olive oil, and then smoke...  you can find a couple old posts of mine where I share process and photos.  I then chop it up with a processor and store it for use in any and all recipes that call for garlic.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

Ken

• Model 2wifi
« Reply #2 on: July 05, 2020, 04:08:30 PM »
That sounds great especially if you wanted to squeeze out the good stuff and eat it right away.  The person that wrote the recipe used a low cooking temp of 150 so she could keep them whole in the fridge for 6 weeks and then use them like typical garlic.  I'll try them your way next time.

LarryD

• 3DW
« Reply #3 on: July 06, 2020, 12:18:41 AM »
That sounds great especially if you wanted to squeeze out the good stuff and eat it right away. 

Yeah, it just squeezes right out pretty much effortlessly after smoking.  I keep some in a small mason jar and the rest I vacuum seal and freeze.  When my jar is going to run out I just let one of my frozen packs thaw in the fridge in advance.  It'll stay good for a very long time. 

It's fine to put the olive oil on it before smoking, but don't ever actually store the garlic in olive oil... that's the prefect recipe for botulism.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...