Author Topic: Smoked Steaks  (Read 3396 times)

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Smoked Steaks
« on: March 22, 2015, 03:08:54 PM »
I watched a video recently on how to cook steaks and they advised slow cooking the steaks at 275F in an oven and then reverse searing in a cast iron skillet.  So, I thought I would give it a try using my #2 and then the Weber gasser.   I got a couple of 1.25” thick steaks, seasoned and in the fridge for a few hours with EVOO, kosher salt and pepper.

I used 2.5oz of mesquite wood and the steaks took about 45 minutes to get to an IT of 120F. I then removed them and let them sit for 5-10 minutes as the Weber grill heated up.  When the grill was ready, I gave the steaks a reverse sear for 1.5 minutes on each side.   So, essentially it took less than one full heating cycle before the steaks were ready for the grill!  After the grill, I let the steaks sit for another 15 minutes wrapped in foil before serving.

My wife said the steak was the best she has had!  The smoke was near perfect on the steaks, although I would have liked the steaks a bit more rare; if I do this again, I might remove the steaks at 100IT rather than 120IT.

Truth be told, I suspect I could get a good result from just using the Weber gasser and putting some mesquite wood on the flavorizer bars, as was suggested by Tony (Divot) a while back.  But, yesterday I had time to play, so I thought I would give the smoker a try.   
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
Re: Smoked Steaks
« Reply #1 on: March 23, 2015, 11:23:59 AM »
I tried cold-smoking some steaks a couple of weeks ago, but I think I overdid the smoke. I did not care for the results.

I like your idea of pulling at 100. My worry about the warm smoke would be that you would loose that rare pink inside. I prefer medium rare, so like a seared outside and a very pink middle.

For me, my current thought is that I will stick with the grill for my steaks. But obviously this is only a personal preference.

Depending on how your 100 degree pull test works, I may have to give this a try again.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.

Walt

« Reply #2 on: March 23, 2015, 11:30:40 AM »
I enjoy smoking 1/3 of a tenderloin & doing a reverse sear, then cutting them into steaks after a nice rest.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: March 23, 2015, 01:06:58 PM »
I watched a video recently on how to cook steaks and they advised slow cooking the steaks at 275F in an oven and then reverse searing in a cast iron skillet.  So, I thought I would give it a try using my #2 and then the Weber gasser.   I got a couple of 1.25” thick steaks, seasoned and in the fridge for a few hours with EVOO, kosher salt and pepper.

I used 2.5oz of mesquite wood and the steaks took about 45 minutes to get to an IT of 120F. I then removed them and let them sit for 5-10 minutes as the Weber grill heated up.  When the grill was ready, I gave the steaks a reverse sear for 1.5 minutes on each side.   So, essentially it took less than one full heating cycle before the steaks were ready for the grill!  After the grill, I let the steaks sit for another 15 minutes wrapped in foil before serving.

My wife said the steak was the best she has had!  The smoke was near perfect on the steaks, although I would have liked the steaks a bit more rare; if I do this again, I might remove the steaks at 100IT rather than 120IT.

Truth be told, I suspect I could get a good result from just using the Weber gasser and putting some mesquite wood on the flavorizer bars, as was suggested by Tony (Divot) a while back.  But, yesterday I had time to play, so I thought I would give the smoker a try.

Steve I have the same plan for Wednesday or Thursdays dinner. Two rib-eye steaks smoke at 225 degrees for about 45mins, pull when they reach about 125 or so. Then Finish them on my grill with a sear on each side (grill at 600 degrees). Then I want to try it on Lobster that I have in the freezer.

Greg
« Last Edit: March 23, 2015, 01:19:02 PM by gregbooras »

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: March 23, 2015, 01:42:56 PM »
NDKoze...if you want the rare center, then you don't want to do the slow smoke as this actually cooks the steak through.   The slow cooking first is intended to remove the rare center part of the steak and to give it an even level of doneness throughout.   For what you want, I would definitely stick to the grill.   On my next go with steaks, I am going to put a chunk of wood on the grill to produce some smoke and just grill them, and see if my wife prefers that over the smoker first option.

gregbooras...Jeff Phillips has a recipe for steak and lobster that might be of interest in case you have not seen it on his smoking-meat web site.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #5 on: March 23, 2015, 02:00:10 PM »
Yep, I think you are right on Steve. I will be looking forward to the result of your next test.
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.