Author Topic: First Shot at Ham  (Read 3348 times)

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
First Shot at Ham
« on: August 25, 2014, 09:46:19 AM »
So I was inspired to try a ham by Pork Belly’s to the point I just had to give it a shot. I used the recipe he showed from the Meateater Hunting Show since this was a first try.

Here’s his link: http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=1986.0

I brined a 10 pound pork shoulder for 9 days, let it rest in the refrigerator for 24 hours, and then began smoking away with 3.5 oz of apple wood. At 2.5 hours the ham was at 70 deg F. I left it a little longer before putting on the glaze since I like a little more smoke. I used about half the glaze for my ham so I will cut that back next time. Then back to  the smoker with an additional 3 oz of hickory for an additional 9.5 hours before the ham got to 155. 

I have to say the SI #2 worked great and I ended up with a really nice ham! It was very moist and juicy as you can see from the pictures and the flavor is amazing! The glaze gives a nice sweet counter to the salty. Yum!

I think next time I will try injecting the brine near the bone as Pork Belly suggested because as you can see from the picture of the slices, there is a little bit that didn’t brine completely in the center.

I was surprised how easy this really was and I have to say I don't think I will go back to a store bought ham any time soon.
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
Re: First Shot at Ham
« Reply #1 on: August 25, 2014, 10:26:13 AM »
Well done, Bob!   Looks really great and I bet the ham was tasty!  Cheers
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: August 25, 2014, 02:34:02 PM »
That looks great! Save that bone for making some beans. I was thrilled with the results, I'm glad yours turned out well. It is such a better flavor than a store bought ham. The glaze recipe does make too much I had extra also.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: August 25, 2014, 08:38:39 PM »
That looks great, Bob!  I think the picnic roast is a great choice for the homemade ham - probably better than a Boston butt (looks more like a ham, and is shaped more like the ham shank).  Local WalMart Neighborhood Market had a bunch of skin-on picnics this weekend.  Almost bought one, but already had a weekend full of meat.

Brian - what about the skin?  Should you leave it on during brining, then remove, or take it off before brining?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

tbcop-is-smokin

• Proud Owner of Smokin-it #3
« Reply #4 on: August 25, 2014, 09:52:08 PM »
Looks awesome Bob...Great job
Thanks for the pic's
Tony
Good Smokes comes from Happy Trees...
Protect Our Forest...
Vietnam Vet
Tony from Virginia...

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: August 26, 2014, 01:18:44 AM »
Leave the skin on it on but, score it prior to smoking. Cut through the skin but not all the way into the fat layer. Do a nice diamond pattern.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

BedouinBob

• Let's Smoke Meat!
« Reply #6 on: August 26, 2014, 09:08:01 AM »
Thanks guys. Personally I am a leave the skin on kind of guy. I think it helps hold moisture in and then you also have fine makins for cracklings by baking or frying til crisp. Just don't tell your doctor! 😊
Bob - Colorado Springs
NRA & USN

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #7 on: August 26, 2014, 08:19:27 PM »
You guys have me planning to see if Wally World still has those big picnic roasts this weekend!
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!