Author Topic: Need some bacon recipes  (Read 2960 times)

MudFarm

Need some bacon recipes
« on: April 09, 2020, 06:51:58 AM »
So I have two slabs of pork belly from a pig I recently butchered that I want to turn into bacon. I plan on cutting each one in half to try 4 different recipes. Maybe two wet brine and two dry brine. Interested in equilibrium brines/rubs for future repeatability. I read through this forum but am looking for a few of your favorites to try. Thanks!
Justin from Wisconsin
#3D

kona77

Re: Need some bacon recipes
« Reply #1 on: April 10, 2020, 11:12:22 PM »
 Justin;  I have done 5-6 bellies now and I posted results/pictures from my last smoke on March 4th.. I have a 3-D and use a dry brine method.. I use a brown sugar/maple syrup mix and a rosemary/garlic mix in the brine. I will cold smoke for at least 5-6 hours and then finish off at 200 until the bacon hits 150.. Use apple or cherry chips with some pencil sized chunks in my firebox.. I really like both flavor combo's but my wife really likes the rosemary/garlic flavor profile. I got that recipe from another poster on this site. Hard to go back to any store bought bacon now that I smoke my own. Learned a lot by reviewing past Bacon posts on this board..Good luck..
https://www.smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=7965.0
Gene from Wisconsin
SI newbie (3-D)
Live/breathe for the outdoors..

barelfly

« Reply #2 on: April 10, 2020, 11:28:21 PM »
I’ve cured a number of bellies into bacon using Michael Ruhlman’s recipe from his charcuterie book. But the flavor profile is all up to you, so I’ve done quite a few different styles - bourbon and brown sugar, spicy jalapeño, Cajun, garlic and then garlic and pepper to name a few that I can think of off hand.

They’ve all turned out well but the majority of the flavor stays on the surface, so if you go with a “rub” style, you could just rub right before smoking as well. Just need to get the cure in for 5-7 days.

enjoy the bacon! Oh, and think of Pancetta at some point with half of one of the slabs :) - an Umai Dry bag, belly and patience will be rewarded!!!!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

MudFarm

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2020, 11:10:42 AM »
Thanks guys! Got them rubbed and curing this morning. Did one just salt, pepper, and cure. One brown sugar, salt, pepper, and cure. One with maple syrup added. And one with rosemary and garlic. Will flip them daily until next weekend when I smoke. I'll have to pick that book up as I see it referenced a lot. Been following a dry aging page on facebook and want to start trying a few recipes as time permits. I'll report back in after they are done.
Justin from Wisconsin
#3D

PhilH

« Reply #4 on: April 12, 2020, 11:06:28 AM »
I guess you missed my many posts on here on bacon, and I even provided a link for equilibrium brines...
Phillip   Ramsey MN

barelfly

« Reply #5 on: April 12, 2020, 10:18:10 PM »
Justin, you will enjoy all four of those flavors! Something different for various dishes! Or, just to eat bacon slices on its own! Haha!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

MudFarm

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2020, 09:36:39 AM »
I guess you missed my many posts on here on bacon, and I even provided a link for equilibrium brines...

I looked through a bunch of posts but couldn't make up my mind with what to try  ;)
Was just looking for some of people's "go to favorites"
I did use the equilibrium method, probably found it in one of your posts. Thanks!
Justin from Wisconsin
#3D

MudFarm

« Reply #7 on: April 20, 2020, 10:39:18 AM »
Well it all turned out amazing! After the first bite my wife turned to me and said, "We are never buying bacon at the store again!"

Justin from Wisconsin
#3D

NDKoze

• Global Moderator
  • Gregg - Fargo, ND
« Reply #8 on: April 21, 2020, 01:48:43 PM »
That is some fine looking bacon and the Stout doesn't look bad either. :)
Gregg - Fargo, ND
Smokin-It #3 (purchased in 2014) that replaced a Masterbuilt XL (ugh) and a 10+ Year-Old Big Chief (still used for fish), and few others over the years, along with variety of Weber Gas/Charcoal Grills, Anova Sous Vide, etc. devices.