Author Topic: Whoops, forgot to cover the smoker box with foil - HOW TO CLEAN??  (Read 1419 times)

bartjoebob

• Yippee Kay yay
First smoke of Spring, and I forgot to foil the roof of the smoker box when doing baby back ribs.  I have tried vinegar and a degreaser with a scouring pad. Carbon is still caked on.  Any suggestions to get this back to a smooth stainless steel finish?

Oh, and since you are here reading a cleaning topic, I usually wipe down with vinegar after using.  What general cleaning tips/practices is everyone using?  TIA!!

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
Re: Whoops, forgot to cover the smoker box with foil - HOW TO CLEAN??
« Reply #1 on: May 01, 2018, 07:55:42 PM »
You are trying too hard to clean that. There is no reason to get that back to shiny. I don't "clean". I cover the wood box, bottom of the smoker, and catch pan with foil. After a smoke, I scrape excess grease out of the bottom with an old plastic credit card, then wipe with a paper towel. If there are any loose crusty bits on the walls or the inside top, you can lightly scrape with a plastic credit card or plastic putty knife. If you really want to clean the top of your wood box, try oven cleaner. The top of my wood box is black, even after covering with foil. The top of your wood box will never be shiny again. It shouldn't be. The black on the walls of the smoker are seasoning. If you need to get your smoker that clean, you will probably never use it. It is impossible to do, not necessary, and is not desirable. If you want to clean and re-season every few years, that's okay if it makes you feel better.

I soak the racks and rack guides and put in the dishwasher, and that's about it. I'm not sure how necessary that is. Especially the rack guides. I don't think they need to be "cleaned". I line the catch pan under the smoker with foil, so never really need to clean that.
« Last Edit: May 01, 2018, 08:02:47 PM by SconnieQ »
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Whoops, forgot to cover the smoker box with foil - HOW TO CLEAN??
« Reply #2 on: May 01, 2018, 08:09:51 PM »
What Kari said. I recently neglected to foil anything. It cleaned up ok with an old putty knife for the heavy stuff then wiped up left over residue with paper towels. Spotless? No.  Not since it was new.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus