Author Topic: Improved brisket result  (Read 1930 times)

PulledPorkSandwich

• Smokin-it Model 2
Improved brisket result
« on: September 06, 2021, 02:10:02 PM »
I've had a hard time achieving good results with brisket on my model 2 analog.  Until yesterday, I had aimed at a smoker temperature of 225 and a meat internal temperature of 200-203.  Each of my last three brisket cooks came out dry.  Moreover, a 12 pound brisket (after trimming all but 1/4 in. fat) would take between 24 and 30 hours to get to the target IT.  I reckoned that something was wrong.  30 hours in the smoker couldn't be right!

Yesterday's cook was way better.  Instead of aiming for 225 degrees, I aimed for 250.  The brisket reached 200 degrees IT in about 13 hours and was probe tender throughout the thickest part of the flat at that time.  The thinnest part of the flat was a bit overcooked, and the point was just a bit undercooked.  I pulled the brisket and wrapped it in foil and a beach towel and put it in a cooler until it was time to eat it (about 8 hours later).  Taste and tenderness were very good -- my best result yet -- although next time I will plan the cook better so that the brisket doesn't sit so long.

I'll note that when I was aiming for 225, I set the rheostat on the model 2 so that the temperature cycled between about 237 and 213, as measured by my Maverick thermometer (which I validated correct at 212 and 32 degrees).  When I aimed for 250, I set the model 2 to almost as high as it would go, which resulted in it cycling between about 262 and 238.

As noted, if I assume I have a decent handle on cook time, next time I will plan for less time sitting in the cooler, but I'll continue to look for ways to get the whole brisket done at the same time.
Ed in North Texas

LarryD

• 3DW
Re: Improved brisket result
« Reply #1 on: September 06, 2021, 06:29:03 PM »
If I ever have an analog unit again I'll probably adjust the rheostat so that at max temp it cycles to a high of 325.  (This assumes it can be adjusted that far.) Then I'd just have to set it to different temps and figure out the other settings that I would want to use most often.  My #2 had a much broader temperature swing than you describe.  I'm pretty sure mine was +/- 40 degrees.
------------------------------
See where the Smokin-It Forum Members are located: https://goo.gl/iFgTi1  -- Message me to be added...

kim0bbz

Re: Improved brisket result
« Reply #2 on: February 20, 2023, 04:58:10 PM »
I did 250 this time around and while it did cut smoke times and stall down, I like to see more fat rendering... will try 235 next time and see if that is the sweet spot.