Author Topic: Canadian Bacon  (Read 5887 times)

Roostershooter

Re: Canadian Bacon
« Reply #15 on: May 14, 2018, 06:06:33 PM »
Good  point on the smoking temperature.  I double checked the probe today with my other thermometer with ice water and boiling water.  The ice water temp the probes readings  were identical.  with the  hot water test, the probes readings were within 3 degrees of each other.  Based on this, I do not think anything is wrong with the meat probe.  I have been asking questions on internal temperature trying to educate myself.  If i am not eating the meat right out of the smoker, why is internal temp so important when I will fry it up on the stove to a higher temp than 145 for my eggs benny?    I am trying to have a back up plan if the same problem occurs again on my next loin.

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #16 on: May 15, 2018, 08:29:07 PM »
If you are curing your meat (using pink curing salt, like #1 Prague powder), you will not need to smoke to 145.  Just keep it refrigerated until fully cooked.  If not, you will need to smoke to 145, or it will be a playground for food-borne bacteria.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Roostershooter

« Reply #17 on: May 16, 2018, 07:19:12 PM »
I am using pink curing salt.  This go around i am using the 12 day brine recipe that is listed in this bacon section.  THANKS!  Everyone has been a big help.

Roostershooter

« Reply #18 on: May 25, 2018, 12:51:28 PM »
This time around the smoke went perfect!  I used the 12 day brine and cure recipe from here.  Put in the smoker for an hour at 125 and took the meat to 145 IT at a temperature of 225.  Looks much better!  The total length of time was 2 hours 30 minutes. 

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #19 on: May 25, 2018, 06:59:37 PM »
Looks good!  How'd it taste?
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

Roostershooter

« Reply #20 on: May 26, 2018, 12:24:30 PM »
Delicious!