Author Topic: Brand new Smoker #2  (Read 3373 times)

rkr

Brand new Smoker #2
« on: October 24, 2015, 12:50:04 PM »
Just got my Smoker #2.  Fired it up to season it this morning.  Mmmm!  What a wonderful smell!  I am totally new to all of this.  Am thinking that tomorrow I'll start with a couple of chickens, but I also have about 4 pounds of ground beef.   Any suggestions for ground beef?   
Also, I already have really small wood chunks.  I see that having a little screen would be good to purchase for the wood box.  Is there something else someone has tried?  I'm going to ask my kids for all the "extras" for Christmas.  In the meantime, I'd like to use up the small wood chips.

Thanks for any suggestions!
Bexx from Maryland

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
Re: Brand new Smoker #2
« Reply #1 on: October 24, 2015, 01:18:09 PM »
Welcome Bexx from Saint Augustine and also a proud #2 owner!

I hope you enjoy your smoker as much as I do!

Greg

smokeasaurus

« Reply #2 on: October 24, 2015, 02:05:00 PM »
I gotta great idea for that ground beef:  smoked burgers!!  No flare ups.....no flipping.....no shrinking......they are smokey, moist and juicy. I do em in SI#3 and in my charcoal pits.

Congrats on your #2  8) 8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #3 on: October 24, 2015, 02:13:33 PM »
I agree with Scott smoked burgers in these babies taste great, just go light on the wood. Below is a link of some bison burgers I did.

http://smokinitforums.com/index.php?topic=3098.msg23747#msg23747

Greg

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #4 on: October 24, 2015, 04:57:21 PM »
I would do the chickens first. Pork butt is always a good first smoke, because it smokes for a long time (adds additional seasoning) and is very forgiving. Chickens will be fine though. Make sure you use a thermometer to determine doneness (I go to 160 in the breast or 170 in the thigh, then rest for about 20 minutes or so). You can use your chips for the chicken. Wrap the chips loosely in foil, and leave a vent hole at the top of your foil packet. You'll want to get yourself some chunks though for ribs, butt, brisket, etc. I only use chips for cold-smoking, or short smokes like fish. Chicken is a relatively short smoke, so chips will work, but I usually use chunks.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #5 on: October 24, 2015, 05:15:50 PM »
Congrats, and Welcome, Bexx!  You made a great decision, with the #2 - super smoker!

You'll find, after spending a little time here, that wood selection/sourcing is very important; all wood is not created equally!  Many of the big box store chips you get are way too dry, as are their chunks.  Do yourself a favor, early, and order some quality smoking wood.  For the best moisture content, and cleanest wood, my "go to" is smokinlicious.com.  You can order their "double filet" cut, and it is fantastic wood.

Let us know how we can help, and we're sure glad to have you with us! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

smokeasaurus

« Reply #6 on: October 24, 2015, 05:38:28 PM »
Congrats, and Welcome, Bexx!  You made a great decision, with the #2 - super smoker!

You'll find, after spending a little time here, that wood selection/sourcing is very important; all wood is not created equally!  Many of the big box store chips you get are way too dry, as are their chunks.  Do yourself a favor, early, and order some quality smoking wood.  For the best moisture content, and cleanest wood, my "go to" is smokinlicious.com.  You can order their "double filet" cut, and it is fantastic wood.

Let us know how we can help, and we're sure glad to have you with us! 8)

a big X2 on Smokinlicous wood 8)
Got Smoke?
Smokin It #2 and stand
Weber Performer
Weber Redhead
Gabby Grills Santa Maria and Rotisserie
PK Grill
Blackstone 36 inch Flat Top

SconnieQ

« Reply #7 on: October 24, 2015, 06:41:16 PM »
Agree, smokinlicious.com is great. Ordered some myself, impressive source. With some experience, you can really tell the difference. But don't let that stop you from getting a few smokes under your belt with what you already have. I used up my big box wood in the beginning, and it was fine, more than fine. You'll still get some tasty smokes from these SI smokers using what you have. Go for it. But once you are in the groove, you might want to look into the "serious" wood sources.
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

rkr

« Reply #8 on: October 24, 2015, 07:10:28 PM »
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!  Since I don't have the insert yet for my wood chips, do you recommend putting foil or anything in the wood box to prevent the chips from falling through?  At this point, since I'd like to use up a couple of small bags of chips, do I use the same amount of ounces that you guys recommend for the chunks?  I think I'll start with burgers with the chips, and add some whole potatoes for potato salad.  I'll save  the last couple of sample wood chunks that were sent with the smoker for chicken some other day.

Thanks for the advice on smokinlicious.com.  I will definitely check it out!

SconnieQ

« Reply #9 on: October 24, 2015, 07:27:47 PM »
Thanks to all for the warm welcome!  Since I don't have the insert yet for my wood chips, do you recommend putting foil or anything in the wood box to prevent the chips from falling through?  At this point, since I'd like to use up a couple of small bags of chips, do I use the same amount of ounces that you guys recommend for the chunks?  I think I'll start with burgers with the chips, and add some whole potatoes for potato salad.  I'll save  the last couple of sample wood chunks that were sent with the smoker for chicken some other day.

Thanks for the advice on smokinlicious.com.  I will definitely check it out!

I don't think you really need the chip insert. I have it, because I smoke salmon, but I would be fine without, and loosely wrapping the chips in foil, with an opening in the top of the foil packet, would work. Some people on this forum just put a layer of foil on the bottom of the smoker box, chips on top. Use what you have to get those smoked meats going! Then worry about the details of how to take it to the next level. (Cuz the basic level is pretty darn good!) The SI produces great smoked food, without a lot of fuss. Then you can take it from there!
« Last Edit: October 24, 2015, 07:31:46 PM by SconnieQ »
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

jcboxlot

• John, York PA.
« Reply #10 on: October 24, 2015, 09:22:31 PM »
Foil packet is fine for chips, they fire up quick.

Smokin It #2.  Weber Genesis. Old Smokey charcoal.  Work from home antique tool dealer and living the dream.  Dad, Husband, Cook.  John~York PA