Author Topic: Howdy from Tulsa, OK  (Read 2283 times)

Smokin Texas Aggie

Howdy from Tulsa, OK
« on: March 25, 2015, 10:55:30 PM »
Howdy! My name is Joe. I am probably one of the youngest Smokin-It owners and am very excited to be making the transition to Lazy-Q this early. Married. No kids. One awesome dog (Ellie).

Just got my number 3 in today and wouldn't you know it, along came the tornadoes. They must have known I was going to be smoking some Q because they were less than 5 miles away! Needless to say, the smoker saw zero action today other than getting its wheels put on and a quick heating element test. Quite disappointing.

There's always tomorrow right? Yes, is the answer you were looking for. The baby back ribs are rubbed and wrapped in the fridge. On one I used mustard to hold the rub and on the other apricot preserves. We'll see how it turns out. Let me know if you've ever tried it.

I know the storms were headed east, so I hope DivotMaker and any other neighbors made it though. Stay safe and keep on smokin!
« Last Edit: March 25, 2015, 11:23:35 PM by Smokin Texas Aggie »
Joe - Tulsa, OK

wasitim

Re: Howdy from Tulsa, OK
« Reply #1 on: March 26, 2015, 06:42:36 AM »
Ellie wants some Q!
Tim - Cape Cod

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: March 26, 2015, 03:37:10 PM »
Glad your safe, don't forget to do the seasoning smoke before you do ribs. No foil, four chunks of sood spread out in box, 250 for four hours. Others do not season with racks in but I don't think it hurts. I would rather season them than wash them. The racks have the same manufacturing residue on them as the smoker.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

Smokin Texas Aggie

« Reply #3 on: March 26, 2015, 04:05:25 PM »
Wasitim: She really did!

Pork Belly: I seasoned for 4hrs at 250, but without as much wood as you suggested. I did something like 5 ounces. I did however leave the racks in and they got decently seasoned.
Joe - Tulsa, OK

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #4 on: March 26, 2015, 07:11:22 PM »
Good to hear, Joe!  There was a tornado about 20 miles northeast of us, lots of rain and hail, but everything's good.  Fortunately, no loss of life like in Sand Springs - always sad to hear!

Like Brian said, don't skip the seasoning step, unless you want your first cook to taste like machine oil.  No foil or anything, just 3 or 4 chunks in the smoke box, 250 for 4 hours, and all will be well.
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2015, 09:25:51 PM »
Welcome from AZ.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

gregbooras

• Global Moderator
  • #3D Smoker
« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2015, 08:06:04 PM »
Welcome from the oldest city in America, Saint Augustine Florida, 450 years and still kick in!

P.S. I am not that old, but still kick in!

Greg