Author Topic: New SI2  (Read 1399 times)

Wagon

New SI2
« on: December 07, 2014, 09:39:12 PM »
Received SI2 Friday. Break in smoke Sat afternoon. Sunday AM, 6 fat racks baby backs 3#ea. restaurant depot, using top 3 racks. 235* set , no verification. 3oz hickory, Ribs and smoker on 6:50 off 12:30. Memphis dust as per recipe 8 hrs before. Everyone loved them, fall off the bone,multiple complements, but I felt they probably could have come off about 1/2 hour earlier. A little pull would have been nice. Have a Traeger, didn't have good luck with ribs. Very happy with this smoker, Butt or Brisket ? Not sure which is next. I have read this forum a lot and am impressed with it's members helpful attitude. Your posts helped me with my first SI2 successful smoke. Thank you all and I look foreword to many more successful smokes.
Kirk - South Florida   SI #2

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
Re: New SI2
« Reply #1 on: December 07, 2014, 09:47:12 PM »
If your #3 cooks like mine you will find "a little pull" at 4.5 hours. In my unit 5 is to much 4.5 is very consistent.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

swthorpe

• Global Moderator
« Reply #2 on: December 08, 2014, 08:24:19 AM »
Well done, Wagon!   Timing for ribs can take a bit of experimentation, but if the end result generates compliments, then you done good!   Next time, you could try scaling back the time and see what happens, but the meat ribs on the smoker introduce some variability as well.   When I do ribs in my #2, I pretty much always go for 5.5 hours and folks love them.
Steve from Delaware
Smokin-It #2

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #3 on: December 08, 2014, 10:24:53 PM »
Welcome to the party, Wagon!  A first name and town in your signature line is a nice touch - we like to get to know our new family members!

You are definitely off to a good start!  The journey to perfect Q will be much shorter, now that you have your SI! 8)
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!