Author Topic: Brisket, Costco or Sam's  (Read 2320 times)

1stlink

Brisket, Costco or Sam's
« on: August 06, 2018, 07:08:56 AM »
Brisket, Costco or Sam's: I have access to both and I have read a lot on the SI Forum about Costco briskets but not about Sam's. Can anyone vouch for Sam's brisket as they currently have "Prime" packers in stock while my local Costco only has Choice Flats.
I always get my bone-in butts at Sam's and I know that DivotMaker shops there but regretfully he has been inactive for some time. Hopefully he is alright and will join us again very soon.

NVW-SSV

Re: Brisket, Costco or Sam's
« Reply #1 on: August 06, 2018, 07:58:33 AM »
I don't have a Costco very close to me, and have (2) Sam's Club warehouses within 20 miles, so I buy Sam's Club Prime Brisket, and have absolutely noticed a better outcome when using their Prime grade briskets versus any other choice.  The brisket doesn't dry out, and at 3.49/lb, I think it's a fair price and good selection usually.

That being said, I did pop in to a Costco when I was traveling on business, and their Prime brisket selection was just plain beautiful.  I'm not sure you can go wrong either way.

Jody from western NC

Smokin' It #2 - Auber 1200 & bypassed
3.5D Wifi (07/18)

Walt

« Reply #2 on: August 06, 2018, 09:27:30 AM »
I use SAMS regularly. I have also cooked one from COSTCO. No difference in briskets as long as the grade us the same.
Walt from South East Louisiana
Model#2 Bypassed with
Auber PID WSD 1200 GPH
Weber EP-330 LP grill

1stlink

« Reply #3 on: August 06, 2018, 10:44:12 AM »
OK, thanks Jody & Walt. Good to hear as for some reason my local Costco seldom has Packer Prime briskets but Sam's does.
Thanks again  :)

Pork Belly

• Global Moderator
« Reply #4 on: August 06, 2018, 04:26:16 PM »
Prime is a government standard not a store standard. If they are both selling "Prime" they are both good meat. Although if one was Prime Angus and the other was Prime I would by Prime Angus.
Brian - Michigan-NRA Life Member
"A fear of weapons is a sign of retarded sexual and emotional maturity."
- Sigmund Freud

SconnieQ

• Model #1 since Jan 2015
« Reply #5 on: August 07, 2018, 01:08:23 AM »
Go to whichever one has Prime. It varies by what part of the country you are in. My Costco always has Prime, unless there is a national shortage. Sam's used to only have Choice around here, but I don't know now, they might also have Prime.
Kari from Madison WI "77 Square Miles Surrounded by Reality"
Singing the praises of small and simple. SI Model #1 with "Libby the dog" poultry skin eating accessory.
Weber Smokey Mountain (are we still friends?), Weber Kettle Grill (stop complaining WSM, I still have a chance)
Anova WiFi Sous Vide

1stlink

« Reply #6 on: August 11, 2018, 01:23:58 PM »
Go to whichever one has Prime. It varies by what part of the country you are in. My Costco always has Prime, unless there is a national shortage. Sam's used to only have Choice around here, but I don't know now, they might also have Prime.
Thanks Brian and Kari, USDA does the grading so it stands to reason there should be no difference between stores so I'll be buying at Sam's I guess because the local Costco only has choice flats. Sam's is a bit farther away and I will probable check Restaurant Depot also (even further).
Thanks all  8)

es1025

« Reply #7 on: August 30, 2018, 09:07:20 AM »
I have bought a brisket flat from BJ’s and its was really good. I think it was 6-7 lbs.
Ed from Northern NJ
Proud owner Smokin-it #3, Bypassed and Auber
Has anyone seen my Weber Genesis Gold?