Author Topic: We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?  (Read 66402 times)

RG

Re: We like BBQ. We like fishing. What about guns?
« Reply #180 on: December 26, 2015, 03:16:34 PM »
Nice looking AR Jason! Don't think the shotgun pics came through. How does the AR shoot?

Dad gum!! I made the post and never added the pics, lol. I was being "harassed" by my wife to "help her" or some non-sense :P

I fixed it though, you should see 3 pics now.

The AR shoots fine, it's the operator that has the problem. All I have been doing is slinging expensive lead down the field! I can't get the dang sights zeroed in for squat! I think I may need some blue loctite to hold the set screws in place. That AR kicks like a donkey and I think it's losing zero!
Jason from Conyers GA

RG

« Reply #181 on: January 02, 2016, 05:34:47 PM »
The collection just grew again. My Dad gave me a Glock 27 .40 and he sent it in the mail, lol. He's crazy!! Also, although he had no mag in the gun, he did have a round in the chamber!!!!!

Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

• Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D!
« Reply #182 on: January 04, 2016, 07:44:37 PM »
Boy, did he get lucky the Post Office was being their usual selves!  I think that would have normally raised some big red flags!! :o
Tony from NW Arkansas
"Official Smokin-It Test Pilot"
Smokin-It Model 1, 2D conversion, and 3D
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi
Wife, Son and One REALLY Big Dog!

RG

« Reply #183 on: January 05, 2016, 07:28:46 PM »
I had to get onto him a little bit. I told him don't EVER send me a gun in the mail, just give it to me in person. He lives out of state and I don't see him much so he just figured he'd pack it up and send it!! Crazy.

I ended up giving that Glock to my son. He had recently bought a Glock .40 and had buyer's remorse. I don't know what model or generation it is but he wanted a smaller version for CC purposes so I gave him my newly acquired 27 as it's smaller than the one he bought. I told him to sell the one he has. He paid $300 for it, it was a police trade in. Hopefully he can find a buyer.
Jason from Conyers GA

DivotMaker

« Reply #184 on: January 05, 2016, 09:52:55 PM »
Glad you're not on a "watch" list now, Jason! ;)
Tony from NW Arkansas
Auber PID, NexGrill 896 6-burner, CharBroil Big Easy, Anova Precision Cooker w/WiFi

DivotMaker

« Reply #185 on: January 07, 2016, 11:08:04 PM »
Not getting "political," but this is funny!  Thank Dave (Old Sarge) for sending it to me!
Tony from NW Arkansas

RG

« Reply #186 on: January 09, 2016, 02:50:52 PM »
Not getting "political," but this is funny!  Thank Dave (Old Sarge) for sending it to me!

LOVE IT!! LOL
Jason from Conyers GA

RG

« Reply #187 on: January 17, 2016, 12:24:07 PM »
I went shooting yesterday with my Wife, Son and Brother and for the life of me I can't get that dang AR sighted in for nothing! I am to the point where I am willing to let someone do it for me! I know......I ought to be ashamed but I just can't get it! Any idea what that service would run? I have a red/green dot sight and a magnifier that is quick connect mounted to the picatinny rail on top. The front iron sight is still in place, rear one was removed obviously.
Jason from Conyers GA

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #188 on: January 17, 2016, 12:41:57 PM »
Jason, do they make a bore laser for that gun? 
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

DivotMaker

« Reply #189 on: January 17, 2016, 02:33:12 PM »
Jason, do they make a bore laser for that gun?

Standard .223 laser sight.  I like the one that's shaped like a shell casing and fits in the bore.  You can also use the universal type, that have different size rods that fit the end of the barrel (for the right caliber).  It gives you a good starting point, and makes fine-tuning at the range much easier!

One thing I would recommend, Jason, is any sight attachment on a Picatinny rail needs to be tightened-down well, and don't remove it.  Yes, it's for quick attachment, but once you have it sighted-in, you'll never be able to remove/reattach without having to zero it again.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2016, 02:46:00 PM by DivotMaker »
Tony from NW Arkansas

RG

« Reply #190 on: January 17, 2016, 04:45:40 PM »
Dave, yep Tony is right, they do make one but I am not sure which one to get. I've seen some on Amazon but all seem to have mixed reviews. If you know of one to recommend I'd love to hear it!

Jason from Conyers GA

mizzoufan

« Reply #191 on: January 18, 2016, 08:32:30 AM »
Since the purpose of a bore sighter is just to get you on paper, I just started at 25 yards (if you can't get on paper at 25 yards, you probably need to remount the optics) then worked my way up.  I also had to adjust a few more times as I got used to the AR style of rifle.  I'm going to assume that it was because my shoulder placement changed as I got more used to the rifle
Steven from KCMO

SuperDave

• Officially Retired
« Reply #192 on: January 18, 2016, 11:41:53 AM »
Since the purpose of a bore sighter is just to get you on paper, I just started at 25 yards (if you can't get on paper at 25 yards, you probably need to remount the optics) then worked my way up.  I also had to adjust a few more times as I got used to the AR style of rifle.  I'm going to assume that it was because my shoulder placement changed as I got more used to the rifle
I agree with the getting on paper part but my experience with rifles and scopes is 25 yards is too close.  The angle of the scope to barrel to get on paper will be such that one will be off by a foot or more at 100 yards.  The first time that I tried to sight in my rifle using your approach, I went through 2 boxes of ammo just to get on paper at 100.  I would suggest maybe starting at 50 for the initial sighting.  It was also helpful for me to plaster multiple targets at the 100 yard mark so that if I missed the intended target, I still had a reference to where the holes I was making actually were. 

Jason, I agree with Tony, a chambered bore sight would be the way I would go with that.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2016, 11:43:56 AM by SuperDave »
Model 4, Harrisville, Utah

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #193 on: January 18, 2016, 06:54:41 PM »
Might this link be of some assistance?

https://www.ar15.com/mobile/topic.html?b=3&f=18&t=556355
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

DivotMaker

« Reply #194 on: January 18, 2016, 07:05:25 PM »
Excellent zero targets, Dave! 

Stephen - I agree that a boresight is just intended to get "close."  But, the new laser sights are so much more accurate than the old optical boresighters, you can get much closer.  I like to boresight a rifle at 50 yds, then zero (live ammo) at 100.  Haven't checked the ballistics of the .223/5.56 flight path, as my experience with tight zeros has always been with a .308 accurized bolt-action and match-grade ammo.  That round crosses zero at 50 and 100 yards.  For those of you following, that means if you are zeroed at 50 yds, it will be zeroed at 100, because the flight path of the bullet is still rising when it crosses 50 yards, and has fallen back to the same point at 100.
Tony from NW Arkansas