Author Topic: Texas Crutch - Monster Brisket  (Read 1763 times)

Smokin Jon

Texas Crutch - Monster Brisket
« on: January 24, 2021, 09:10:28 AM »
18.44 Lb. Brisket - Texas Crutch

This was the first wrapped brisket i've cooked in my 3D.  The final product, particularly the flat, is definitely more moist compared to cooking unwrapped.

Cook Notes:
•   Dry Rub:  8 hours prior to cooking
Cook Time: 
•   Total Cook Time = 13 Hours (5 Step program from 175F to 240F)
•   Cooked Unwrapped x 7 hours to internal temperature of 171 F
•   Wrapped in foil with ¾ cup beef broth and cooked until internal temperature of 200
•   Rested wrapped in cooler x 2.5 hours
Wood:  White Oak and Pecan
•   Amount of Wood – 318 grams – 11.24 oz.
•   Smokin-It SS Chip Screen
•   Wood Combustion - Near full at 7 hours

barelfly

Re: Texas Crutch - Monster Brisket
« Reply #1 on: January 24, 2021, 09:40:16 AM »
That looks great!

That was a good cook for an 18lb brisket. What rub did you end up going with? Looks like a great bark set up on that from what you used.

And the wood amount, I’ve never used that much before, but I have probably used 8oz. How was the smoke flavor? I’ll have to try that next time - keep upping the amount to where I get the smoke where I really like it.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

Smokin Jon

« Reply #2 on: January 24, 2021, 12:39:25 PM »
The rub recipe is something I picked up on a YouTube video on the channel HowToBBQRight (Malcom Reed).  I combined Malcom's rub with another store bought rub and some Montreal steak seasoning I had.  I tend to mix rubs and spices. 

11+ ounces is the most wood I have ever used.  There were 3 big chunks and 1 medium chunk.  I believe ramping the temperature and using the smokin-it chip screen allow for a slower and longer smoke which prevents the acrid taste.  There was still a little smoke coming from the largest wood chunk at 7 hours when I wrapped the brisket.  The meat had a definite smooth smoke taste and no biting acrid taste.

This was the best brisket i've cooked in the 3D so far.

Jon

GreyMan

• WAR JUNKIE
« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2021, 10:28:10 PM »
So what are your thoughts on pink meat hugger paper during the cook???
I’m a kind person, I’m kind to everyone, but if you are unkind to me, then kindness is not what you’ll remember me for

OldeSmoker

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2021, 10:39:42 PM »
Your brisket looks excellent. I to have been going with a little extra
smoking wood to get a deeper smoke flavor into the meat. Using the ramp up method and foil trays for the wood chunks has eliminated any bitter or acrid taste in the meat. It is good to see that process working for you as well.

Paul from Southwest Missouri
*Smokin-It 3D-WiFi
with Bella’s CSG and The Stephanie Cabinet
*Members Mark SS 6 Burner Gas Grill with Sear Burner, Side Burner & Rotisserie
*River Grills Wood Fired Grill and Fire Pit
W/ Rotisserie and Dutch Oven Hanger

Smokin Jon

« Reply #5 on: February 13, 2021, 04:17:22 PM »
GreyMan,
I have not used the pink butcher paper before so I cannot comment.  I have a bunch of heavy duty wide restaurant foil so, that's what I use. 

Wrapping prevented the brisket flat from drying out as much in comparison to several previous unwrapped cooks.

OldeSmoker,
Going to full temp immediately on my first couple of cooks resulted in smoke box fires and acrid/bitter taste even with as little as 6 ounces of wood. 

The smokin-it chip screen and the programed temperature ramp prevents a smoke box fire and results in longer smokes.  I have documented all my cooks and gradually increased the wood amounts to ~10-11.25 ounces for large briskets and pork butts.