Author Topic: almost perfect wings  (Read 2690 times)

poppypig

• Pete, central Virginia
almost perfect wings
« on: January 17, 2020, 01:42:01 PM »
Noob using Smoke-it. Just finished smoking 30 wings, tips off, drums and flats separated, brined 4 hrs with 1 gal water, 1 c. salt, 1/2 c. br sugar. Spread out on tray in fridge overnite to dry, then coated with Penzey's jerk seasoning and olive oil in ziplock for about 4 hrs. Smoke at 250 with not quite 2 oz cherry, reached 165 in an hour, turned off smoker and left wings in there for another 30 minutes than under broiler for about 5 min to crisp skins, didn't crisp as much as I would have liked but they weren't soggy or rubbery. Flavor was good with just right amount of smoke and done ok and juicy but....they weren't suck off the bone tender. Anything I could/should have done differently?
SI2
weber converted to cold smoker
La Caja china roaster box
Orion cooker
Lem #5 grinder
Lem 5lb sausage stuffer
Hobart slicer
Anova
Brinkman 5 burner gas grill
Freezer not full for long of mostly pig meat

barelfly

Re: almost perfect wings
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2020, 06:01:32 PM »
Chicken skin in the smoker is hard to crisp up at a lower temp. You need heat for that, so you could always finish them off on a grill to crisp up the skin.

Also, check out seriouseats.com and read about how they treat chicken wings. This is how I go about my wings, but I use my weber kettle for wings at a higher temp. But I Dry brine with salt and baking powder over night then hit them with rub right before they go on the fire. This has given me the best results over other ways.

But definitely try the grill to finish and see if that changes the skin texture for you.

The wings do look good though!
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

poppypig

• Pete, central Virginia
« Reply #2 on: January 17, 2020, 06:37:45 PM »
Thanks Jeremy, I would have liked the skins a bit crisper and I will try your technique, but I had more of a problem of the meat not falling off the bone, it was done at 165 but I had to bite it off the bone, I would like it better if i could stick the drum in my mouth and just suck it off. Cook it longer? higher temp? don't want to dry it out either.
SI2
Orion cooker
Lem #5 grinder
Lem 5lb sausage stuffer
Hobart slicer
Anova

old sarge

• Global Moderator
« Reply #3 on: January 17, 2020, 09:28:05 PM »
Those wings look great; I would definitely eat them!
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

barelfly

« Reply #4 on: January 17, 2020, 11:18:30 PM »
Dark meat can be cooked more, so try that as well. That’s the nice thing about chicken thighs, they’ll take more heat and be better off. The wings you could try a bit more on final cook temp.
Jeremy in NM
3D for lazy q
Bullet 4 burner gasser by Bull Grills
Weber Kettle with a Slow n Sear

poppypig

• Pete, central Virginia
« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2020, 01:20:48 PM »
update on the almost perfect wings:
did everything the same as my January 17 wings except instead of smoking at 250 for an hour to 165 I smoked at 235 for almost 2 hrs to an IT of 170,
wings were much more tender and a bit more "almost perfect" and still not dry, but I'm sure the brining had a lot to do with that, next batch I may try 225 to 170 IT
that's what it's all about right? keep plugging til you get it the way you want.
SI2
Orion cooker
Lem #5 grinder
Lem 5lb sausage stuffer
Hobart slicer
Anova

curegeorg

« Reply #6 on: February 16, 2020, 01:17:46 AM »
Baking powder helps the skin texture.  Finish on grill.  I think lower temp for longer usually gives more tender meats, but it's achievable different ways.  Sometimes its just the meat - search woody breast chicken.
Coolio from Central NC

#3 with auber