Author Topic: Pork Butt/ Dalmatian Rub  (Read 2058 times)

will615

Pork Butt/ Dalmatian Rub
« on: October 06, 2019, 08:02:09 PM »
I've been experimenting with pork butts and dalmatian rub (coarse ground salt and pepper) and I really like the results! Disclaimer: I like the results so much that I am looking into having a rub made that I can sell. I hope that I haven't crossed any lines within the forum. If so, please delete.
I started with a 7.5 lb Boston Butt. The ones that I get from Kroger have about a 1/4" inch fat cap on one one side. I trim as much as I can. I brined it using Divotmaker's recipe (see the 2nd post in this section). After overnight brining, I rinsed it and patted it dry. Cheap yellow mustard and Dalmatian rub 30 minutes before smoking. SI #1, 6 oz of hickory, 225 deg, looking for a final IT of 190 or a little above. I went to 193 today wondering if that would melt a bit of the internal fat. It did not. The cook times for my butts average around an hour per pound. Some go over (a whole hour), while others are less than an hour. I have started taking the meat off the smoker, double wrapping in foil, wrap in a towel, and into the cooler for 2 hours. This step has really improved my results! When things happen too quickly, 4-5 hours in the cooler still works great. The end result is delicious meat! It's both the same and slightly different than the fancy rubs that I usually use.
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!

old sarge

• Global Moderator
Re: Pork Butt/ Dalmatian Rub
« Reply #1 on: October 06, 2019, 10:20:44 PM »
I've been experimenting with pork butts and dalmatian rub (coarse ground salt and pepper) and I really like the results! Disclaimer: I like the results so much that I am looking into having a rub made that I can sell. I hope that I haven't crossed any lines within the forum. If so, please delete.
I started with a 7.5 lb Boston Butt. The ones that I get from Kroger have about a 1/4" inch fat cap on one one side. I trim as much as I can. I brined it using Divotmaker's recipe (see the 2nd post in this section). After overnight brining, I rinsed it and patted it dry. Cheap yellow mustard and Dalmatian rub 30 minutes before smoking. SI #1, 6 oz of hickory, 225 deg, looking for a final IT of 190 or a little above. I went to 193 today wondering if that would melt a bit of the internal fat. It did not. The cook times for my butts average around an hour per pound. Some go over (a whole hour), while others are less than an hour. I have started taking the meat off the smoker, double wrapping in foil, wrap in a towel, and into the cooler for 2 hours. This step has really improved my results! When things happen too quickly, 4-5 hours in the cooler still works great. The end result is delicious meat! It's both the same and slightly different than the fancy rubs that I usually use.

You have no worries about crossing any lines.  We like sharing ideas and successes (and failures).  I do strongly doubt that you will be able to sell anything commercially on this site so please be aware of that; but formulas, recipes and techniques are always welcome.
David from Arizona
US Army 70 - 95
SI 3D & Big Red Controller
CS 066
Lodge Sportsman Grill
Weber Kettle
Ducane Meridian 42 inch Grill
LEM MaxVac 1088A
LEM Big Bite #8 Grinder
Chef's Choice 665 and Rival Slicers
Old Hickory Knives
InstantPot Duo80 Plus

will615

Re: Pork Butt/ Dalmatian Rub
« Reply #2 on: October 07, 2019, 09:50:31 AM »
Thanks David! I understand.
Will, Nashville, TN
SI #1, Weber Smoky Mtn., Kilwell Fish Smoker, and an old New Braunfels offset smoker that makes great ribs regardless of the bad reviews!